368 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Europe
Mirtt says

Four days after one of the deadliest school shootings in U.S. history, we still see all over the news, not only american, no matter what country you are from, articles written everywhere and discussions all over the world.

Although this is a horrific tragedy, the world is truly shocked. What seems ironic is that hundred of children are dying daily all over the world, not only because of material needs but almost similiar like the one that happened on US and all you get is a short 10 second video and an impression that this is normal. Life in US seems to be more valuable than life in the other countries.

I know, the circumstances might be different, US is not on war, but seriously imagine, if all the medias and therefore people would react in the same way like they reacted for this tragedy, I think the circumstances on countries that are currently on war would be different.

This is not supposed to be a political discussion, just a discussion intended to show what the media is doing to us and hopefully to take more seriously that a person is a person no matter how small.

131 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Taiwan
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
buddhabeats says

To add some perspective to what you just wrote, the day before the shooting incident, 23 children were stabbed by a man wielding a knife at a school in China. Even here in Taiwan I didn’t see this on the news (although it’s possible I missed it). After the tragedy in the US, it was all over our news.

There’s of course many differences in these two instances [loss of life being a huge one] and perhaps it’s difficult to compare. I’ll leave you with that.

273 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Germany
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
JumaStudios says

Such a good point guys…

1860 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
+1 more
FRESHFACE says

Medias mostly broadcast what people are interested in, right? That means people in general are just not interested to hear about tragedies in 3rd world countries for example – sad, but true. They want to hear about things that can change their lives, and America still being a role model for many is a reason why they get so much attention in news.

148 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
BowtieThemes says

Medias mostly broadcast what people are interested in, right? That means people in general are just not interested to hear about tragedies in 3rd world countries for example – sad, but true. They want to hear about things that can change their lives, and America still being a role model for many is a reason why they get so much attention in news.

Agreed. And many celebrities tweet and write support messages on their websites and facebook accounts, and they get massive retweets and shares so whole world hears about it.

131 posts
  • Taiwan
  • Exclusive Author
buddhabeats says

That and [here] our two major foreign news networks are CNN and BBC. So we get a skewed look at things.

57 posts
  • Europe
Blunny says

There are a lot of factors that play into it, but I think one of the biggest ones is simply money. Large media corporations cater to the masses who have the ability to buy. There’s more buying power in America than there is in many other countries combined. What hits a core with people, sells.

Another factor is familiarity. We are first concerned with what is happening on our own backyards, then in the cultures that are similar to ours.

Then there are differences in culture. Different cultures deal with events differently. In some cultures the way to go is to be quiet about it, and in some other cultures it’s important to let it all out.

None of that has anything to do with the worth of the lives lost, or of those left grieving.

I think we’re just conditioned to the thought that the more people know of your existence, then the more you are worth.

368 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Europe
Mirtt says

Media job these days seems not to offer correct and valuable information but instead to spread panic and gossip so people can become addicted. I agree, money has huge impact and it is actually very sad to see how differently human life is treated on the media.

131 posts
  • Taiwan
  • Exclusive Author
buddhabeats says

spread panic and gossip so people can become addicted.

I believe this is so true! (here at least) It always marvels me when a typhoon is predicted to even come close to Taiwan, how the media tries to play it up into some huge event. Oftentimes the “typhoon” isn’t even really a typhoon, but a tropical depression or tropical storm; but it’s still reported as a typhoon [to scare us into watching]. (Sorry, I used to be a weatherman in the military, so the lack of distinction really bothers me)

At any rate, it doesn’t seem like there’s much we can do about it.

by
by
by
by
by
by