5 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
johnywhy says

are there newer methods for achieving this?

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says
are there newer methods for achieving this?

use cufon :)

5 posts
johnywhy says

i believe cufon is image-based fonts. but i need a solution which loads actual fonts into the webpage. @fontface seems like the only viable option, so i don’t see how this article is outdated at all. seems state-of-the-art.

question: the demo that comes with the font-kit i generated with squirrel works great on my webserver, but fails on Firefox when integrated into my website (same server). still works in IE/Chrome.

why would WOF /TTF files fail on Firefox when integrated into my website? any ideas?

5 posts
johnywhy says

above firefox issue resolved.

firefox does not allow remotely-hosted fonts by default (i believe there’s a way to enable it at the browser, but that’s no help for web-dev).

to host font files remotely for firefox, there are two solutions (see paul irish “font-face gotchas”)

—embed font directly in css (use “base64” in fontsquirrel to get this. drawback: causes css bloat.)

—or, put .htaccess in remote font directory, granting access to your site domain. for mine to work (site hosted on yola sitebuilder), i had to use wildcard * in htaccess:

<FilesMatch "\.(ttf|otf|woff)$">
<IfModule mod_headers.c>
Header set Access-Control-Allow-Origin "*" 
</IfModule>
</FilesMatch>
5 posts
johnywhy says

i strongly recommend anyone using this method read paul irish’s “font-face gotchas” and other similar articles.

for example, it’s recommended to include some extra css to achieve your desired bold and italics.

1 post
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
cr08 says

Thanks for the well laid out post. Back when Mozilla published their big hooplah over web fonts they made it out to be some super complex process where every browser had their own format and tons of CSS to sift through. Reading this blog post though it makes a hell of a lot more sense and is tons simpler. Really appreciated!

2004 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
Landonw says
cr08 said
Thanks for the well laid out post. Back when Mozilla published their big hooplah over web fonts they made it out to be some super complex process where every browser had their own format and tons of CSS to sift through. Reading this blog post though it makes a hell of a lot more sense and is tons simpler. Really appreciated!
http://www.google.com/webfonts

P.S: Gravedigger.

3362 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says