• Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+1 more
radykal says

Hi,

I notice a white page for a short time when browsing through a wp theme. I checked other wp themes and they dont have this “issue”. Someone told me that this can be fixed with CSS or php, I dont know. I already google it, but only found the “Blank screen of death” issue.

So how can I avoid that the page goes white for a short time when requesting a new page in a wp theme?

2954 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

Sounds to me like it’s trying to request a big javascript file or something from a different domain.

eg: if you’re request google jquery your browser has to look up the address for that host, download the file, and then continue rendering the page.

A few suggestions are to make sure all your css and script references are inside the <head> tag at the top of the page. If that doesn’t fix it open up the problematic page and “view source”. Browse through to see if you have any <script> bits that are not in the <head> tag (eg: from a plugin). If that still doesn’t fix it then you can try moving any external script references (eg: google jquery) to the bottom of your website just before the end body tag.

672 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+1 more
LCweb says

I suggest to use the “NET” functionality of the firebug plugin in Firefox. It shows up how much time every element on the page takes to load completely.

561 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
+1 more
radykal says

Ok I think now its working. I just installed the WP Super Cache plugin, I think its doing the job.

672 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
+1 more
LCweb says

Ok I think now its working. I just installed the WP Super Cache plugin, I think its doing the job.

It’s a nice plugin, but only put a patch on the problem and each time you make any change to your website the plugin cache must be refreshed. Mainly because of old-contents were displayed I had to disable it on a website months ago.

It can fit temporarily, but to completely avoid problems i suggest to solve them by fixing the files loading time. ;)

1685 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
+1 more
Firsh says

It’s also dependant on the browser. And you might be far from your webhost. You can test speeds here: http://www.webpagetest.org/

561 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Germany
+1 more
radykal says

It’s a nice plugin, but only put a patch on the problem and each time you make any change to your website the plugin cache must be refreshed. Mainly because of old-contents were displayed I had to disable it on a website months ago.

It can fit temporarily, but to completely avoid problems i suggest to solve them by fixing the files loading time. ;)

Yes you were true….. I had to disabled it again, because new content did not displayed on my site.

1685 posts Time is what you desire most, but waste carelessly.
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
+1 more
Firsh says

Put JS in the bottom. If it’s in the head and slows down page load you’ll get the white flash. Only the CSS in the head then let the document flow in. Also make sure you make a use of caching then it’ll be near instant for the page loads after the first one.

by
by
by
by
by
by