16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
houmedia says

Good morning! Wanted some other designer/developer feedback on my issue.

Been working on a long-drawn out website where it took a year for the client to get their content together (they wouldn’t outsource it).

Now that we’re done, we were going to test it and found that the theme used doesn’t work on IE8. I understand that this is an old browser, but the agency that is my client is large, not up to date, and it’s not financially feasible for them to re-license all of their computers (they’re using a version of Windows that won’t allow for them to update to IE9 or 10).

I didn’t specify backwards compatibility in my contract. :(

Now we have a meeting to discuss: 1. What exactly will overhauling the website entail?

2. Cost/Considerations of Overhauling the Website

a. How long will it take?

b. What tech support, if any will be needed from GCCSA?

3. Compatibility with Internet Explorer 8

a. How will that effect compatibility with Explorer 9 and 10? Or other browsers?

b. What additional considerations must be assessed?

4. What are the other feasible options, if any?

What would you do in this situation.

12 posts Nice
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
quitenicestuff says

Sometimes it’s best to just cut your losses and move onto something new :)

Although saying that, requesting IE8 compatibility is not that unreasonable. But if it’s not in the contract then you don’t need to do it.

16 posts
+1 more
houmedia says

Sometimes it’s best to just cut your losses and move onto something new :) Although saying that, requesting IE8 compatibility is not that unreasonable. But if it’s not in the contract then you don’t need to do it.

Thanks for the input. I agree. If this weren’t A) a very important relationship to me (we’ve known each other for a long time and they are also a client of my husbands in another capacity). and B) There is large sum of money due for the balance, which frankly, I’ve already earned and don’t just want to charge off.

1034 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
BenSheppard says

As general practice I make all the websites I make work on IE7, obviously the best “stuff” is on chrome but it needs to look acceptable in IE7, If you haven’t put in any fallbacks as you were going along it could work out as very time consuming issue.

There isn’t a lot of things you can do in this issue, you should have either said what browsers it will work in or used fallbacks.

You can either say I’ll do it for free, No I can’t do it, No I can’t do it without more money

1267 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has collected more than 1000 items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

is is Really that much work to make it IE8 compatible? I’d think some minor css updates would be needed; I’d add no more than a 20% surchage to add enhanced compatibility with IE8, if that wasn’t in the scope of initial agreement, plus have a yearly upgrade plan so they can pay you to update it for future IE versions as well—otherwise they’l lalways be whining when it’s not compatible with the latest browser version.

that should’ve been part of initial agreement, is “I guarantee it’ll work up throuhg IE 7 (or whatever), but there’s additional costs for upgrading to new browser versions”

952 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+3 more
aleluja says

IE8 is currently most used browser (sad but true). For me (and themeforest reviewers) the compatibility for IE8 is a must. It doesn’t have to look exactly the same but it should be usable.

16 posts
+1 more
houmedia says

Thanks ya’ll. Disclaimer—I’m a designer, not a coder. Hence, why I chose a theme that stated it was IE8 compatible so I wouldn’t have to worry about it. Any of you all capable of troubleshooting for me and adding and css required? Email me with rates. arobertson@houmedia.com Thanks!

-The theme I used was Nimble: http://themeforest.net/item/nimble-multipurpose-retina-ready-wordpress-theme/3009347

2268 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

If a theme is advertised as being IE8 compatible you should contact the author for them to fix it…. if it does work with IE8 as provided then changes you made must of broken it possibly.

3072 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
wickedpixel says

Depends what needs to be supported by IE. In any case, at least the functionality must work without any problem. Decoration is not an issue unless it’s really required.

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
beehopping says

Good morning! Wanted some other designer/developer feedback on my issue.

Been working on a long-drawn out website where it took a year for the client to get their content together (they wouldn’t outsource it).

Now that we’re done, we were going to test it and found that the theme used doesn’t work on IE8. I understand that this is an old browser, but the agency that is my client is large, not up to date, and it’s not financially feasible for them to re-license all of their computers (they’re using a version of Windows that won’t allow for them to update to IE9 or 10).

If re-licensing/updating is an issue, wouldn’t it be even easier to just install Chrome Frame on IE8?

by
by
by
by
by
by