255 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
BuchmannDesign says

Let’s say the home page of a WP theme has some custom text (non-db generated text). Maybe some “intro” text for the site. This text obviously needs to be customized to the buyer of the theme.

What’s the best practice for this? Is the buyer expected to hand-edit the index.php file?

On a related note, there are many static elements in a site… like the “Headings” for the side bar. (Categories, Recent Posts, etc.) People’s preferences for the wording of these headings can vary. Is the buyer expected to hand edit php files to change the heading text? Is there a best practice that i should follow?

Thanks for your help!

John

342 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
reidknorr says

I would say yes… simply provide instructions on how to do it. While this is not ideal and should be avoided if at all possible, there may be some cases where not everything can be edited from the backend. A template sometimes can only reach so far on flexibility and most of the time if the buyer can setup a wordpress site, they can follow directions on how to effectively edit their templates as well. This is where good documentation helps! :)

1001 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
purethemes says

you can always do custom admin panel for your theme, and allow to change static text there

352 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
danharper says

Best way would be to have include an admin panel with the theme. I’ve wrote a tutorial for doing this on the ThemeForest Blog

255 posts
+4 more
BuchmannDesign says

I was actually trying to use “Wordpress Theme Toolkit”, which essentially does what your tutorial does… but it’s sooo simple! Problem is it works great on my localhost, but i just uploaded to the server and i’m getting all sorts of errors which i can’t figure out.

Thanks for the tutorial; i’ll be trying it out today!

John

255 posts
+4 more
BuchmannDesign says
Best way would be to have include an admin panel with the theme. I’ve wrote a tutorial for doing this on the ThemeForest Blog

Dan, i followed your tutorial exactly (copy/pasted code), but when i try to echo $mytheme_welcome_message; i don’t get any output. Someone in the comments also had the same problem, so i’m not alone! Is this a problem that you know a solution to?

Thanks, John

255 posts
+4 more
BuchmannDesign says

Ok, i got it to work, but it’s strange. It doesn’t work when i put the required php code in the header.php file. If i put that code at the top of my index.php and others, then it all works!

So i just put the code in it’s own .php file and i’m including it on every page.

John

by
by
by
by
by
by