12 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
hubscot says

Hi

I just want to ask. I have a site but I want to redesign in Wordpress. How do I design it when the site is already using the root folder? Further, if I use a wordpress “under construction” theme, and it’s set live – how do I then start working on the same web address with a new wordpress theme?

Can the current site stay live while I re-design or do I need to upload an under construction in the interim?

I did think about creating the wordpress account under a sub folder and then perhaps moving it to he root, but I’m new to ftp and not sure which folder to move where…. I tried it once and ** it up! Had to get help!

Further if I can be so cheeky can you also comment on security relating to wordpress and how to protrect against hackers as I’ve read a few times that it’s wide open in that regard. I know there are security plugins – any I should use as a “must have”...?

I’m also very interested in using the admin panel themes…..can I also ask where these are loaded too. I came across them by accident today and am well impressed.

I’m a newby so please be specific and clear.

Thanks all in advance for your time and assistance.

Happy New Year!

Sx

12 posts
hubscot says

Guess it’s too much of a stupid question…....will try work out on my own then….... ;o(

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Daisybird says

No, not a stupid question! I too am new to all of this and also need help. Be patient. I would think that in this world of shared creativity someone will be kind enough to answer your questions.

While I’m not sure this is the correct answer, contact your host and figure out how to created a sub-domain and then do all of your work there before you go “live.” In the meantime, load the “under construction” to your live site.

17 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
thatryan says

I do all my Wordpress building and development offline using MAMP . Have you heard of it? Basically you run a local server on your computer, and install Wordpress to it. You can then design build and test everything on your desktop, then when ready to use it live, upload it to your root. Make sense? Check it out here, http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

49 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
JordanK says
I do all my Wordpress building and development offline using MAMP . Have you heard of it? Basically you run a local server on your computer, and install Wordpress to it. You can then design build and test everything on your desktop, then when ready to use it live, upload it to your root. Make sense? Check it out here, http://www.mamp.info/en/index.html

or XAMPP if you’re using windows

17 posts
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
thatryan says
or XAMPP if you’re using windows

Oooh right thanks, I always forget about the first letter :)

12 posts
hubscot says

Hi Thanks.

Have installed Xamp but it’s a bit double dutch to me. I’m new to wordpress however have successfully launched two sites, one on a domain name usin /etc the other was helped onto the root by the theme designer because I messed up.

Is this my only option …. is it not easy to design on a folder name then move?

Would also appreciate help with questions on security and admin panel as raised above.

Cheers.

Sxxxx

12 posts
hubscot says

Does anyone have any other assistance re moving the wordpress desiing from a sub page and how to do it. Just keen to know step by step instructions.

Loaded one on www.mysite.com/wordpress for example and keen to get it to just www.mysite.com

Also keen to get reply soonest on the question of how secure wordpress is – heard of various hackin incidences and what plugins are recommended and or other steps to stop hackers.

Cheers

Sx

659 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
+2 more
luckykind says
Does anyone have any other assistance re moving the wordpress desiing from a sub page and how to do it. Just keen to know step by step instructions. Loaded one on www.mysite.com/wordpress for example and keen to get it to just www.mysite.com

best to go to the source for this… -> http://codex.wordpress.org/Moving_WordPress

Also keen to get reply soonest on the question of how secure wordpress is – heard of various hackin incidences and what plugins are recommended and or other steps to stop hackers.

Cheers

Sx

No one will ever guarantee that it’s a 100% hack proof… but it’s one of the leaders in it’s industry… and it wouldn’t be if it was easily hacked all the time. Most hackers get in due to user error…

Your best bet for keeping hackers out is updating Wordpress and plugins when new versions are released…

hope that helps…

12 posts
hubscot says

Thank you lucky kind…that link should help although will have to do it very slowly and carefully.

Will also take advise on updating.

Cheers

Sx

by
by
by
by
by
by