5 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Lebanon
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
DesignerFox says

Hi all,

I was researching for what people look for when they need a website and I find a lot of them look for free websites. My question is how do you explain your customers why these free websites are not a good idea and why they need YOU . I mean these free websites like webs.com and weebly. They first give you a free website then offer you an upgrade. If he upgrades there it is still much cheaper than my services.

Anyone has good arguments? Need it for my toolbox ;-)

Thanks!

1 post
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
mikenewbry says

If you have to do a lot arm twisting to get them away from a free site like this, it’s probably not the right kind of client. It says two things to me: Either the client is a do-it-yourself control freak that is going to be a nightmare to deal with, or they don’t really have the money to spend. So personally I would just move on to bigger fish. But I wouldn’t burn the bridge either because odds are they will go ahead and attempt the free site then come back to you when they are frustrated with the results.

1469 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

Just tell them , only the best things in the world are absolutely free , but a website can never be that good so we should pay for it ;)

5 posts
  • Lebanon
DesignerFox says

Just tell them , only the best things in the world are absolutely free , but a website can never be that good so we should pay for it ;)

lol right it can’t be!

5 posts
  • Lebanon
DesignerFox says

If you have to do a lot arm twisting to get them away from a free site like this, it’s probably not the right kind of client. It says two things to me: Either the client is a do-it-yourself control freak that is going to be a nightmare to deal with, or they don’t really have the money to spend. So personally I would just move on to bigger fish. But I wouldn’t burn the bridge either because odds are they will go ahead and attempt the free site then come back to you when they are frustrated with the results.

Yes it is confusing. I was planning to do Adwords campaign so I got all these type of keywords so I thought they may ask and that I should include some arguments in my landing page. Don’t have much experience in dealing with customers though, I started by building my own websites. Thanks for your reply!

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

odds are they will go ahead and attempt the free site then come back to you when they are frustrated with the results.

+1 Lots of people out there think that we’re just a group of people who’ve learned a few Photoshop tricks, and that our jobs really aren’t that hard.

For any client looking to save money by using a template, if they can’t afford a professionally built one from a place like ThemeForest, I wouldn’t bother with them. But if they want to use a TF template instead of a custom built one, it’s usually a win win for both sides as you can still charge for customization/deployment. In fact, this is how a lot of us here make a living. Buyers customize templates for clients, and authors make advanced modifications for buyers.

74 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Panama
solybarr says

I remember when I started building websites.. ahem.. many moons ago.. the books said, “ask for the budget up front”, this, still makes me laugh, because 1) It feels rude to me, and 2) Theyre going to say 50$! unless theyve already done some research and quoted the project beforehand.

It astounds me how people are still surprised at the cost of building a website. It might seem like it is easy, but it is hard work. We love doing it, so we dont mind.

I would consider this under the heading of customer relations..customer service… Perhaps you could use the opportunity to enlighten the customer as to the flexibility your services give and the results that could be expected (increase in his business $$, more sales leads, etc).

Just having a website loaded doesn’t help business… I’m ashamed to say sometimes, Ive simply not liked the look of a site and gone somewhere else to purchase my items.. (even while knowing that internet presence does not a company make.. remember those tv spots where the person is buying and the guy selling is in some hut in a deserted island)...

Hope this helps, its part of the whole “experience” :) Regards, Sunshine.

5 posts
  • Lebanon
DesignerFox says

Perhaps you could use the opportunity to enlighten the customer as to the flexibility your services give and the results that could be expected (increase in his business $$, more sales leads, etc).

Thank you solybarr. This is a good point. I am already building knowledgebase where they can learn what they actually can do with their websites (hope someone will care!). I feel afraid to give them promises regarding increasing their earnings – it’s so hard to guarantee this (otherwise I myself wouldn’t need to consider taking customers :( ) but I certainly can teach them a lot about how they can use it – newsletters, website only promotions etc. One of the crazy things I need to explain to people that when you just put a website out there nobody will just pass by your website. Believe it or not many people think all they need is a few pages and every day hundreds if not thousands of people will come to their website.

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says

I remember when I started building websites.. ahem.. many moons ago.. the books said, “ask for the budget up front”, this, still makes me laugh, because 1) It feels rude to me, and 2) Theyre going to say 50$! unless theyve already done some research and quoted the project beforehand.

I never understand this. If you go to a car lot and say you want to buy a car, isn’t it reasonable for the car salesman to ask you what your budget is so they can help you find a car that you can afford? I don’t want to waste a day test driving BMW ’s just because I’m clueless to what they cost and the car salesman didn’t have the common sense to ask me if I could even afford one ;)

74 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Panama
solybarr says

I never understand this. If you go to a car lot and say you want to buy a car, isn’t it reasonable for the car salesman to ask you what your budget is so they can help you find a car that you can afford? I don’t want to waste a day test driving BMW ’s just because I’m clueless to what they cost and the car salesman didn’t have the common sense to ask me if I could even afford one ;)

Yup, I know, Ive started asking about budget lately, and have been given roundabout answers.. thankfully I do outsourcing work for a small firm and they just say “just fix it!” lol..

by
by
by
by
by
by