• Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CLINE123 says
kelvinmead said
CLINE123 said
kelvinmead said
...but like i said, im new…
It shows.
HA, ‘tever that means! (or maybe its a lighthearted reference to my post count… ) ;)
Ha, it shows on both levels :). I disagree with your comment as you may have yet to learn that there are a minimum of 3 types of buyers on TF:
  1. Those buying a theme for themselves for their own site (may be WP noob or veteran)
  2. Those on behalf of their employer for the company’s website (may also be noob or veteran)
  3. Those who buy and configure themes for clients (like me)

I don’t see a problem in buyers respectfully asking for a change or being pointed in the right direction. The author may choose to help or respectfully decline with no love lost.

4 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
kelvinmead says

i think my point is, is that whilst i sit here configuring my site (by remming off sections of code and seeing what it does, i look and think that i think id like to move some of the coloums / change sizes… i would never have thought to go to the creator of the theme before coming to this discussion forum!

5310 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
CodingJack says
kelvinmead said
i would never have thought to go to the creator of the theme

Same for me. It just never crossed my mind and I never knew support was so common. The way I looked at it was I was buying stock, which meant a cool file for really cheap. On the other hand, if my purchase cost $200 I would have assumed that there was some type of support system available.

Power sellers can afford to hire support staff, but when your a mid-tier author like myself, spending 1-2 hours a day on support eats into your productivity. Nevertheless I work hard at it because it helps fight poor ratings, creates repeat buyers and also turns into freelance work.

3192 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
organicbee says

IMO authors should never “change” something for one buyer.. now if theres a lot of requests for things then yes they can choose to change it or if theres bugs… but if I buyer is trying to customize or as some of you guys put it “configure” the theme then it should be all on them the author should provide or give direction to the buyer but not do the work for them…. Support does not equal freelance work it.. but Ive mentioned this before most authors don’t have a complete support policy on what they will/won’t do posted anywhere so buyers that have gotten “extra” help from one author may automatically assume that the next author will do the same thing

328 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CLINE123 says

As a buyer and one of the guys who, as I put it, “configures” the theme, I’m glad I can choose which authors I buy from who will “change” something for me and don’t mind giving me the “extra” help. I always laugh at these suckers for providing free freelance work under my guise of a support request as that was my master plan all along.

11 posts
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
michellemc says

I am always shocked when a buyer has the nerve to ask an author to change something about the theme just for them and then offering the great reward of “if you could do that, then you will have my order.” It’s crazy! And I’m even more shocked when the author suggest they might be able to help them out. It should be a red flag that the buyer is not going to know how to customize anything themselves and is sure to be a major P.I.A.

I’m in agreement with others here that, it never would enter my mind to ask such a thing. I purchase a theme, mostly because it helps me get past that miserable “staring at a blank screen” ... just can’t get started … phase. Sometimes, by the time I’m done, it barely resembles the original. (Not always!)

Sometimes, just because the prices are so dang cheap, I’ll buy an item, just to find out :How’d they do that?” Or because I like a few features enough to buy the entire theme, just to use the code with a clear conscience. (I’m allowed to do that right? Let’s say… Use the footer and contact page layout from one theme, and incorporate it into another theme, if I’ve purchased them both?)

One pet peeve of mine, however, is when the author makes the code purposefully cryptic. (I guess to discourage pirating) but also making it difficult for the legit buyer to go in and customize it, without spending hours trying to crack the code of what jQuery navigation script the author used and what term, exactly refers to the color of the active button on rollover? Because we’re not in Kansas anymore, Toto, and nothing says “On” or “Off.” I think that’s expecting a little too much from your average template buyer.

A template for sale to the public, is meant to modified… so I feel it is the author’s job, at the very least, to make it clear WHERE to change some basic stuff: the background, the logo, the buttons. Either in the readme file or commented within the code.

That said, I must admit: searching for those answers, and not wanting to bother the author … is exactly how I ended up learning a little bit about jQuery, and xml.

by
by
by
by
by
by