• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ArikB says

How about you place the .ai in the .psd on it’s own layer. Whenever it needs editing, it will open up the file in illustrator, but then changes are saved in PS. Or did you want to edit the file in between the original layers?

Glad you solved it.

7204 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

that’s what i don’t want. I don’t need smart object. So let say who buys my stuff do not have illustrator, do not know how to used, etc. It will not be able to modify the colors, shape etc of the smart objetc element. Now I understand the advantages to use smart objects but in this case its better to have photoshop paths.

Then I like to build my shapes in Illustrator and I hate Photoshop paths. So this was my problem. How to get the vector from illustrator with out loosing hours to drag and drop every elements, and convert the smart object to shape(I do not know if can be done but I don’t really care now). How to mantain the layers from Illustrator. ecc.

It turn out that Adobe has the knowledge to that but for some reason they spread it out between applications.

660 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United States
donchev_a says

I work in photoshop and if I need shapes, create them in AI and -> smart object.

I think all web images are raster and the best way make the layouts is to use Photoshop. Using the power of AI when it is needed (shapes).

doing the whole layout in AI does not give you the final look. just another way… a.

23 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
DvK says

The funny thing is that if you separate your artwork on different layers in illustrator CS4 and then go File-Export-PSD, it will save a PSD file with all your layer structure intact.

And then you’ll be able to add layer styles for each and every element you separated in illustrator.

Rather easy… Hope this helps.

No need to go through other programs to get there.

7204 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says
The funny thing is that if you separate your artwork on different layers in illustrator CS4 and then go File-Export-PSD, it will save a PSD file with all your layer structure intact.

yeap but they are not shapes but raster. That’s a big difference. :) Then you have to separate things, that means a lot of work. But that’s not important because illustrator will rasterize all, layers or not. And that sucks. I actually did a lot of tests and saving to psd from illustrator was one of them.

23 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
DvK says

True. Raster is what they are. I’m aware of the difference, thing is it all depends on what you plan to accomplish.

1 post
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
JackSeeds says

ok I have the impression that maybe I can’t explain myself very well or maybe someone don’t read all the text I writed. :D

but anyway I resolved the problem, :D:D:D:D:D:D it took me half a day but now its work.

its a rather stupid and expensive, you need illustrator, fireworks and photoshop.

first create your art in illustrator, then save.

open the ai file in fireworks

save as to a psd file

open the file in photoshop and voila’

you got a layered psd with all the shapes as paths and every illustrator layer as a group. Its not that nice?

Thank you all for your help!

Hi Doru

I know it was 3y ago but I’ve just run into the same problem which you had. It’s already CS6 and exporting multiple paths from IL to PS is still a pain in the ass. I’ve created quite complex object out of more than 600 paths and I wanted to give them final touch in PS. Anyway I just wanted to say, thank you for the Fireworks-Middleman method!!!!!

Jack

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Adobe just has too many products, not to make them compatible each other but just to have more number of products/industry landing. It is a big question how many years decades it will take for them just to have some basic vector support on Photoshop and few raster options on AI.

Before Macromedia acquisition, I thought Fireworks will someday replace PS but Adobe is too much dominating to kill more qualified products from competitors.

I wish we can see a vector preserved Stroke + Fill option will be available on Photoshop by the year 2022. Wait… it is still doubtful if it will even happen after 10 years.

7204 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

Hi Doru

I know it was 3y ago but I’ve just run into the same problem which you had. It’s already CS6 and exporting multiple paths from IL to PS is still a pain in the ass. I’ve created quite complex object out of more than 600 paths and I wanted to give them final touch in PS. Anyway I just wanted to say, thank you for the Fireworks-Middleman method!!!!!

Jack

you welcome :)

3 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
ompopo says

Thanks doru :)

Just spent about 45 minutes trying to find an answer to this before I found your thread. The thing with fireworks did wonders :D

by
by
by
by
by
by