97 posts
  • Author Level 3
  • Collector Level 2
  • Exclusive Author
  • 4 Years of Membership
despoth
says

And there’s difference between two “Make compound shape” methods. You can do it just with right click on object and select “Make compound shape” – objects will appear on layers palette named ”<Compound shape>”. And you can select “Make compound shape” from “Pathfinder” palette clicking on right top arrow. This make object name “Compound shape” with no ”< >”. So the difference is that first kind of objects will be opened in Photoshop as rasterized layers. But the second are still shapes! Don’t ask me why it is. It’s just inner Adobe magic. Only remember this thing and use this powerful killer feature.

And I forgot about transparency. You can use it – it will be the same in Photoshop. So you can use solid fills and transparency but no other properties on objects like strokes, gradients, meshes or effects.

960 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author Level 5
  • Community Superstar
  • Featured Author
+7 more
joiaco
says

Wow thanks for this despoth, i have been trying all the other solutions here, just tried this and it is exactly what i need. :)

1 post
  • 6 Years of Membership
  • Author Level 1
  • Collector Level 2
  • Weekly Top Seller
holcombpaul
says

Open the illustrator file in Fireworks first – then save it as a PSD from Fireworks – it will retain the layers as vector objects.

88 posts
  • Author Level 2
  • 3 Years of Membership
  • Exclusive Author
PixelPuzzel
says

the method illustrator->fireworks->photoshop doesn’t work anymore. or i’m doing something wrong….

97 posts
  • Author Level 3
  • Collector Level 2
  • Exclusive Author
  • 4 Years of Membership
despoth
says

It is a great pity. Fireworks’s last version is dated to 2012. Now it is 2015 but new Photoshop CC 2015 still CANNOT import Illustrator files with keeping shapes as old Fireworks can. It’s very big shame to Adobe: their own products, the “great couple” – Photoshop and Illustrator don’t understand each other while alien product Fireworks (came from Macromedia) can. Whadda phuck?

by
by
by
by
by
by