96 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Russian Federation
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
despoth says

Here’s one trick that may be a solution. We have: Illustrator with some vector objects and Photoshop where we need to keep that objects as separate shapes. When we export from AI to psd – we get rasterized layers. Bad. When we copy in AI and paste in PS – we can paste as one smart object or one shape with no separating into individual shapes. Bad. We can use Fireworks in a chain Illustrator -> Fireworks -> Photoshop. But it’s not good because nobody wants to buy Fireworks just for transfer objects from AI to PS.

Ok. Go to Illustrator. Keep opened the palette “Pathfinder”. Click on each object which you want to get as a shape in Photoshop. Remove any outline strokes, gradients, meshes and textures. You need to keep just only a solid color fill. On palette “Pathfinder” click right top arrow and select “Make compound shape”. Do it with all objects step-by-step. Then File > Export… and select Photoshop .psd. Don’t worry about settings, just leave check box “Maximum Editability” checked. Open this .psd in Photoshop. Voilà!!! You have all objects as a separate shapes in proper place with proper colors! Just remember: no strokes, gradients and effects, only solid fill! And magic “Make compound shape”. Try to do it and be happy as mine :)

96 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Russian Federation
+1 more
despoth says

And there’s difference between two “Make compound shape” methods. You can do it just with right click on object and select “Make compound shape” – objects will appear on layers palette named ”<Compound shape>”. And you can select “Make compound shape” from “Pathfinder” palette clicking on right top arrow. This make object name “Compound shape” with no ”< >”. So the difference is that first kind of objects will be opened in Photoshop as rasterized layers. But the second are still shapes! Don’t ask me why it is. It’s just inner Adobe magic. Only remember this thing and use this powerful killer feature.

And I forgot about transparency. You can use it – it will be the same in Photoshop. So you can use solid fills and transparency but no other properties on objects like strokes, gradients, meshes or effects.

926 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+5 more
joiaco says

Wow thanks for this despoth, i have been trying all the other solutions here, just tried this and it is exactly what i need. :)

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
holcombpaul says

Open the illustrator file in Fireworks first – then save it as a PSD from Fireworks – it will retain the layers as vector objects.

88 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Europe
PixelPuzzel says

the method illustrator->fireworks->photoshop doesn’t work anymore. or i’m doing something wrong….

by
by
by
by
by
by