64 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
RafalBorowski says

I just sold my first item and few hours lated found it on 6 different servers – [names removed] etc. Already reported it (don’t know if they will remove it) but just wanted to ask how do you protect against that?

BTW. I had only one sale. Should I report that user somehow? Because this had to be done by him.

1793 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

You can’t. Just focus on creating new quality items instead of wasting that precious time fighting the websites that distribute the files, there’s no way to stop it. And, it’s not that user’s fault, the html source is publicly visible, anyone can copy-paste html templates without any difficulty.

64 posts
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
RafalBorowski says

And, it’s not that user’s fault, the html source is publicly visible, anyone can copy-paste html templates without any difficulty.
Not if the files contains documentation that was cropped out of my name and mails.
203 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a free file of the month
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+3 more
ikaruna says

By the way yesterday was the premiere of The Pirate Bay Movie. If you watch the movie you realise that you should not fight it, actually the market has to change.

Regarding TF market, I don’t think this free downloads affect too much, most of the free downloads are packed with viruses and it’s more likely that those who use it will never buy the file anyway.

On the other hand I think it’s a benefit, they are doing you a great service since I believe some of the users who download the file and like it, will come here and buy it to be able to get updates and support.

cheers! jayc

264 posts What we do in life, echoes in eternity!
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Prothemeus says

Let’s just say I’m happy there’s buyer verification on my forum.

271 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
Vasterad says

Fighting with piracy copies of our themes doesn’t make sense. ;)

64 posts
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
RafalBorowski says

Well thanks for notice. I think i let it go for future themes but i have to tell you that I have prepared myself a short DMCA txt file. I just replaced the file url and send it to all 13 pages (via contact page). All files were removed within an hour and all links are dead now.

Now the funny thing is that some sites are republishing those dead links – giving me a free advertisment ;)

271 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
Vasterad says

I’m sure that for a few days there will be other copies of your template. There’s no good protection for HTML templates. WordPress themes are little safer, because even if any has illegal copies, those copies can be of an old version without e.g. compatibility with WordPress 3.5.

192 posts Quality Templates
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
ThemeRox says

Well thanks for notice. I think i let it go for future themes but i have to tell you that I have prepared myself a short DMCA txt file. I just replaced the file url and send it to all 13 pages (via contact page). All files were removed within an hour and all links are dead now. Now the funny thing is that some sites are republishing those dead links – giving me a free advertisment ;)
I think its a good idea. :)
by
by
by
by
by
by