• Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

NICOTINE: HARDER TO KICK…THAN HEROIN

Despite overwhelming evidence that tobacco is destroying their health and shortening their lives, 53 million Americans continue to smoke. Increasingly aware that their addiction is also harmful to their children and co-workers, they continue to puff away on 570 billion cigarettes a year.

Many smokers are highly intelligent people with impressive levels of control over institutions, budgets, employees and political affairs. Yet, after repeated attempts to give up smoking, they find that they cannot control this one, seemingly uncomplicated, aspect of their behavior. Are smokers more weak-willed than nonsmokers or former smokers? Or do millions of people continue to smoke for reasons more powerful than previously imagined? What, for example, could possess a heart attack victim to light up a cigarette the moment he is wheeled out of the coronary care unit?

Interdisciplinary research in pharmacology, psychology, physiology and neurobiology is just beginning to shed light on the incredible hold that tobacco has on people. Scientists have found, for instance, that nicotine is as addictive as heroin, cocaine or amphetamines, and for most people more addictive than alcohol. Its hooks go deep, involving complex physiological and psychological mechanisms that drive and maintain smoking behavior and that even produce some ’’good’’ effects, such as improved performance on intellectual, computational and stressful tasks.

- No wonder it’s been hard to quit :|

94 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Europe
silent47 says

Try Allen Carr book…Im sure it will help you

1030 posts Massfocus
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Beta Tester
+3 more
Massfocus says

NICOTINE: HARDER TO KICK…THAN HEROIN

- No wonder it’s been hard to quit :|

Yeah tell me about it.. , another ’’fun’’ fact which i learned from that book – cigarettes delivers the addictive substance quicker then any other drug including Heroine yes, so in that regard it is more addictive then Heroine because of the fact you can get your ’’high’’ within a matter of 6 seconds before it reaches your brain and it is so easy to get, i mean you can buy cigarettes in pharmacies these days, while these places should give us the impression of health… Allen Carr

I think one of the biggest facts and problems about Cigarettes and i know Allen Carr mentions this in his book but i was well aware of the fact beforehand so i wont quote him on this.

The fact that it is all around us every day – you cant get a day through your life if you are a little socially present or watching/listening any form of media out there and the subject arises, you hear a anti smoking campaign, someone lights one up in the movie, or when you walk out of the cinema and you walk through a smokescreen of people because everyone is smoking together outside because it is not accepted inside anymore in most places, huge no smoking signs everywhere wherever you go and forum posts of people with past experiences :P remind you of the substance.

So it is just extremely difficult to just NOT LET IT CROSS YOUR MIND, let alone trying to quit it all together, since it’s more of a psychological battle then a physical one, i truly believe this is THE biggest underlying issue when it comes to quitting smoking.

From my past experience, i drank alcohol for a bit too much on some occasions or after some major life events and when i noticed it decreasing my health/financial and social situation i just decided to switch it off in my mind and ignore it and i didn’t touch a drop of it ever since (apart from single glass of wine, champagne or a single beer like every couple of months or so on occasions like weddings/birthdays etc) which i don’t see as destructive behavior.

Alcohol isn’t as addictive as the substances in cigarettes for a number of reasons but the point i try to make is, it’s easier to cut yourself off from Alcohol without losing your ability to ’’normally’’ live and socialize, you simply don’t go out to bars, you go meet up at restaurants for example and you don’t see ’’no alcohol’’ signs everywhere you go so it’s not like your brain gets reminded of the fact so frequently and therefore it is easy to ’’clear’’ it out of your mind in order to quit. This however isn’t the fact with cigarettes sadly since it is just embedded in our society like line of code on the web.

But before going too political on the subject i just want to say if you truly want to try to quit smoking and you thought more about the physical effects instead of the psychological ones - Read the book from “Allen Carr”, he goes in detail on the subject and it can certainly help you with your battle with this little devil.

Enough procrastinating – back to work :)

327 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
Gewora says

Alone it is very very hard..

If you don’t get locked in anywhere for some time where you can’t smoke, it’s very hard.

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

I was a smoker for the last 14 – 15 years and smoked around a pack per day, pretty much for the last 10 years. I personally tried quitting more times than I can count. I tried EVERYTHING, the patch, gum, the patch again, hypnotists, Chantix (twice).. nothing worked.

Then about a year ago places around me started selling those eCigarettes. They were mostly bulky/heavy things that cost upwards of $80 – $100 and needed to be recharged and refilled with drops or new cartridges. I found one for $40 and tried it. While it was good enough to get me through things like plane rides or movies, it never felt as real or satisfying as a real smoke. So I used it occasionally, when I knew I’d be doing something for a long enough time that I wouldn’t be able to smoke when needed.

More recently I read a review about a new disposable eCig from NJoy called Njoy Kings. In the review the person found the Kings to not only feel most like actually smoking, but the eCig itself was light, and actually wrapped in paper to make it feel more like the real thing.

When they finally came out in my area I tried them out. Within a week I was fully switched over to the Kings and haven’t smoked a real cigarette since last December. The only drawback to the Kings is that they’re just as addicting as regular cigarettes. But they also come with the fact that they’re convenient and have no gross smells, so its actually easier to smoke them. I found myself smoking the equivalent of 1.5 – 2 packs per day once I was fully switched over without ever realizing I was increasing my addiction :P.

I did find that the eCig habit was actually easier to break for me. After 3 months or so of smoking the eCig, I tried to cut back as much as possible, and then switched over to the patch. What’s funny is that I never had luck with the patch before, but switching from the eCigs to the patch seemed relatively easy. Over the course of about a month or so I cut down from the full dose patch down to a quarter of a patch and eventually stopped all together.

I’m a very happy ex-smoker. It’s been over 8 months since I’ve had a real cigarette, and surprisingly I still love the smell of them, I was expecting to hate it pretty quickly. I still get cravings, but when they do come it’s never a craving for a real cigarette, it’s always a craving for an eCig (the craving is similar but the inhalation feeling is slightly different).

End of my novel :)

362 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
SamyBeats says

I decided to reduce quantity of cigarettes :)

327 posts
  • Exclusive Author
Gewora says

I decided to reduce quantity of cigarettes :)

A good start, but don’t fall back ;)

Good luck :)

8194 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

go and find someone who is dying of lung cancer who has smoked all their life, that will send the point home loud and clearly… my aunt stopped smoking there and then when my grandpa died having seen what the cigarettes / cigars had done to him…

379 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
tuguirazvan says

Thanks God I don’t smoke. I saw how hard it is to quit smoking.

950 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
Giallo says

smoke weed

by