8 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Thailand
CalzoHoudini says

Hello.

I recently purchased an item from Audio Jungle and rated the item with 4 stars which in my opinion is a great rating. I purchased the item because it matched another item from Video Hive that I purchased.

I have since received numerous abusive emails from the seller because I gave their item 4 out of 5 stars when in my opinion I’m entitled to rate the item as I see fit and 4 out of 5 isn’t a bad rating. The audio fit the project I was working on but it’s genuinely not a perfect 5 star item. Apparently I’m not allowed to give my opinion of the item even though the seller has offered their items for sale to the general public which automatically opens you up to fair and justified criticism.

I didn’t leave any feedback or criticism on the item, I simply gave it 4 stars but I certainly don’t expect to get abusive emails from a seller for doing so. Would you expect Tim Cook from Apple to give you abuse because you only gave an iPhone 4 out of 5 stars?

2269 posts Community Team
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
+12 more
contrastblack Staff says

Hello.

I recently purchased an item from Audio Jungle and rated the item with 4 stars which in my opinion is a great rating. I purchased the item because it matched another item from Video Hive that I purchased.

I have since received numerous abusive emails from the seller because I gave their item 4 out of 5 stars when in my opinion I’m entitled to rate the item as I see fit and 4 out of 5 isn’t a bad rating. The audio fit the project I was working on but it’s genuinely not a perfect 5 star item. Apparently I’m not allowed to give my opinion of the item even though the seller has offered their items for sale to the general public which automatically opens you up to fair and just criticism.

I didn’t leave any feedback or criticism on the item, I simply gave it 4 stars but I certainly don’t expect to get abusive emails from a seller for doing so. Would you expect Tim Cook from Apple to give you abuse because you only gave an iPhone 4 out of 5 stars?

Hey CalzoHoudini,

Please be so kind as to write to us via http://support.envato.com
You can also send me the Ticket ID via my profile page. This is not acceptable, and by all means, should be reported.

Thank you.

6763 posts
  • Italy
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
doru says

This is not acceptable, and by all means, should be reported.

exactly!

authors now can see who rate the item but this type of behavior should not be tolerated else we get back to anonymous ratings with all the problems that we had then

844 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
ImanGM says

Oh… This is unacceptable! Authors should use this new cool feature to improve their items and try to help clients more to get better ratings not revenging…

It’s a shame… :S

446 posts
  • Korea, Republic of
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Joonique_Sound says

authors now can see who rate the item but this type of behavior should not be tolerated else we get back to anonymous ratings with all the problems that we had then

Huh? I only see “anonymous” on my reviews..

844 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
ImanGM says

Huh? I only see “anonymous” on my reviews..

You can only see it on new ratings…

991 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Power Elite Author
+4 more
Parallelus says

It may be a nice side effect of the new ratings system that we discover these “bad” authors and have a chance to prune the marketplace. Behavior like this should never be acceptable, from an author or buyer, and I expect Envato would treat both cases equally.

806 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
Art-of-Sound says

Before judging what is acceptable you should know the whole story.
It was me, but my message wasn’t abusive. The buyer gave a 4 stars rating with reason “Item quality”, so I wrote him that the item has a preview so you know exactly what you get, therefore If the item quality is not good enough for you, why do you buy it instead looking for something you’re completely satisfied with? I always was puzzled by why people rate images and audio tracks less then 5 stars, so when finally I had a chance to ask a buyer I did it – what’s wrong about that? The buyer replied that giving 5 stars would mean that it is perfect and nothing is perfect. So I said that I pity such attitude and rating something that has a preview file less than 5 stars is foolish, because what he rates here is nothing but his choice and advised him leaving the rating blank if he finds difficult being positive and supportive. As a response the buyer rated the item with 1 star. If this is not the abuse of the rating system I don’t know what it is, and he’s reporting me for abuse?!

467 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
FlossieWood says

The thing with the Audiojungle and the Iphone analogy is that with an Iphone you can’t necessarily see what you are getting, and therefore after using the phone for a while you are only then able to assess it properly.

I do find it strange when a track has been purchased in AJ and then receives anything other than 5 stars, why would anyone want to choose a track for a project that after listening they feel merits anything other than 5 stars? Carry on searching until you find a 5 star track....!!!

I think this is why ratings are redundant here, who can honestly say that any track on AJ is ‘perfect’ – there is always room for improvement with any composition. However, this is the yardstick by which the buyer has rated AOS’s item. Quite innocently it has to be said. By this same measurement therefore, no track on AJ should receive 5 stars – I think only babies are perfect!

Something is not clear, I think, with the ratings system.

6763 posts
  • Italy
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says

I need to be more clear. The behavior I’m referring to is contacting a buyer because he rate one of your item.

by
by
by
by
by
by