952 posts
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
3Ddym says

Why don’t you just create a regular @gmail account and use the vacation responder?

This is what I was looking for, great to hear this!

3446 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

Why don’t you just create a regular @gmail account and use the vacation responder?
This is what I was looking for, great to hear this!

It’s not going to work currently, take a peek at the recent developments in this thread ;)

832 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
+7 more
wpbakery says

Just discovered that canned responses doesn’t work… :(

I can see that 2 months are gone since initial release of “hack-mega-super-script-by-Dave-to-make-authors-live-easier”.

Is it ready for use? :)

3446 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+10 more
sevenspark Moderator says

https://github.com/dtbaker/php-gmail-auto-reply

I just wanted to say a huge thanks to Dave for his work on this. I finally got my lazy ass around to setting this up, and found it’s awesome and saved me a load of time. I’m headed on vacation tomorrow and this will really help me out :)

Dave, I owe you a beer (or three) ;)

For anyone wondering about cron, here are some tips based on my experience fiddling with it last night:

1. If you want to run Dave’s cron.php directly, rather than hitting a URL to trigger it, you may need to provide a full path to your email template in cron.php line 125, rather than a relative path

2. To set up a cron job every 10 minutes which runs the cron.php file directly, ssh into your server, then run

crontab -e

from your terminal. Add a line like this to the file and save it

*/10 * * * * /usr/bin/php /path/to/cron.php

The first path is to your PHP (it may be /usr/local/bin/php or something like that instead. Use whereis php to find it in your bin). You need to use full paths with cron as system variables may not be loaded. Obviously /path/to/cron.php needs to be replaced with the actual path to your cron.php file.

3. Wondering if your cron job ran? Check out your system log ( /var/log/syslog ). Your crontab entry should be logged if it ran. If you want to send yourself a message because you’re paranoid (like me) that things aren’t working, you can email yourself with some data after each cron run. I placed this at the end of cron.php

mail( 'me@email.com' , 'Processed Emails' , 'Found '.$message_number.' emails from: '.$froms );

( I created the $from variable in the foreach loop so I could see which emails were processed at a glance )

Hope this helps someone else :)

Thanks again!

Chris

by
by
by
by
by
by