78 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Georgia
Alien_Piglet says

I don´t have kids.. but I have a family that doesn´t understand that on the PC I´m working.. and not just clicking something with the mouse :D ..

That’s a serious issue too. My family isn’t all like that but they tend to be. :) And some people unceremoniously take my place at the computer, the moment I get up. To update FB status and share some black and white pictures with semi-wise, semi-romantic texts, of course, what else?

6 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
mordorthemes says

For me working at home with 2 kids was impossible.. i’ve taken a desk in a coworking space and in a day i’ve made fork that at home i’ve made in a week… it’s a good idea

400 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Italy
realthing says

Since we where living in a small 2 bedroom apartment ( In Europe houses are smallllll :) ) it was impossible to work with my kids around. So we took the big decision to move in the country side (not that far from Rome….35 minutes by car ) and our life change totally…... i have now my own separate studio in the house that gives me all the privacy, but also the kids are playing in the garden and most of the time forget about me :).

108 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
themespirit says

It can be hard, and if you are the person who is actually looking after them in the day, i’d say impossible.

I work from home but have a separate studio above my garage:

My boys are usually either at nursery or looked after by my wife at home (during the day) so they rarely bother me. The times when I have looked after them for a bit in my work hours, i’ve tried to work as well with not much success.

It also depends on their ages, when they are around 2-3 years old they do keep themselves occupied more, allowing you a bit more time.

Also an iPad or cBeebies (uk kids tv) keeps them busy for a bit but we don’t let them watch tv often.

787 posts
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
petrenj says

Most of my songs I recorded literally with my 3 years old son in my lap and my wife right behind me, yelling: What we gonna eat today!

176 posts
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • France
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
StudioLeBus says

same problem here… hum hum… if you don’t want to go crazy buy a laptop and work at a cafe ! :)

512 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
simonswiss says

Finally, when you DO spend time with your family – switch off from work completely, that means phone and computer. “A man should never neglect his family for business.”Walt Disney

This + 1000. In my early days ( i am still in my early days though) i was really struggling to understand this and i felt constantly pressured to work and feeling guilty for not playing with my young son, going for a family bike ride..

Then i’d come out of the house with them and quickly reply to an e-mail on the phone, making them feel guilty for taking me away from work.. No one was really happy in this situation.

With time i have figured out that taking real breaks and spend quality time with the family make much more sense. My work day gets a little bit shorter, but i feel very good about my life balance and i actually get more things done.

I recently went for a quick mid-week 2-day camping trip and did not bring my laptop or anything “work”. I shut down work completely, and spent time on the beach with my little precious family.

\\

On our way back, i spent the whole weekend working to catch up. This is the magic of working for yourself. Freedom of choices.

I am fully aware that i cannot put the same hours in than a single guy with no kids and no responsibilities or someone working in an office.

However, i know that i have the magic privilege, at any give time of my day, to take a 5 minute break and go play cars with my son, give him a high five and hearing him tell me “je t’aime papa!”.

Finally, i am lucky enough to have my mother-in-law not too far from where i live, and she takes care of him a couple times a week.

I have agreed with my wife (she had to convince me at first) that i should take 1 day in the week and be a stay at home daddy. And work a bit on the weekend to compensate. I used to feel very stressed about it – but now i could not imagine a week without it.

512 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
simonswiss says

Most of my songs I recorded literally with my 3 years old son in my lap and my wife right behind me, yelling: What we gonna eat today!

Is that your wife repeating “AudioJungle” in the background on all of your tracks? :dead:

You should have a special watermark saying “Whad-wee-gonna-eat?” instead!

8221 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

with very good headphones and a locked door :D

1264 posts
  • Bought between 1000 and 4999 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
graphic4444 says

my kid’s in school all day, so that’s a big help.. and i live in a huge 4,000 sft mcmansion, so that helps… great photos in the thread

although I work 12-14 hour days, i always make time to spend with family; work will always be there, i’m a self-made entrepreneur but Family comes first :)

whenever i think about buying a new VH ae template for example I ask my kid to let me know if it’s cool or not, if it passes the ‘teenage kid thinks it’s cool test’ then I buy

by
by
by
by
by
by