1141 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
KarmaThemes says

Hey you guys and girls!

I’d appreciate your support in this case. After I got approved with Jay I thought we finally made it to the forest.
The amount of sales is quite decent, we increased the sales/month by 200% compared to our first theme. We felt like it was a good idea to make a WP version. This thought got confirmed by three instant five star ratings, extremely nice comments on the HTML version (thanks for that!), and some asking for the WP version.
“Wordpress and it’s a no brainer.” one said. So we got that no brainer ready with an extensive theme options panel, demo content, tried to make it as easy as possible for the users to cope with all the jCarousels and so on.

I uploaded it two days ago and got that message:

the other reviewers don’t feel this is upto the quality we’re looking for. As you know, the standards for WP are exceptionally high and the rest of the team is not sure whether this is upto it.
please know upfront that it’ll probably involve a significant amount of back and forth since this will need a ton of work.
With respect to the WP category, this just needs better aesthetics and more importantly, better attention to detal.
I’m soft rejecting in case you want to have another go at this.

I feel like this is taking me on a ride and am looking for answers.
What do you say? Shall I take this trip of “tons of improvements”? Is it probably going to get rejected after all? And last – is it really that bad? This is a full time office here, we don’t do this for additional pocket money in our sparetime and we (usually) don’t play games – it’s about a serious amount of money, we developed 8 themes since we are on tf, 2 got accepted – so would you continue on themeforest?

WP Theme Preview

HTML Version

Thanks a lot for your time and – hopefully – support!
GC

3007 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

I have a few ideas:
1. Change the color scheme with more blending color, colors that go together, this ones do not.
2. Where is the typography showcased?
3. Where are the shortcodes showcased?
4. Other than the footer is there a contact page?
5. Remove the footer and rethink it. It dose not match the theme at all.
6. “Hire me now” sends empty messages. It has no validation. Contact form in the footer, the same.
Bottom line is to make more features and ways you can use it. I only see one way now, as you have it set up, and that is not that much.

195 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
LionArt says

I don’t know D:

I really like it to be honest.

56 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
EvGreen says

hmm I’d say it looks way better than some other ones that have been approved already, so maybe, just maybe the real reason is that the reviewers felt that this theme got potential to sell in bigger amounts, but need more polishing before that.

The quote is quite harsh though.

Anyway, what I’d start with: 1)The green/cyan colors are great, leave them as they are. Re-think the browns.

2)Work on the look of the footer. The gradients there feel a bit cheapy and out of place, maybe switch the browns there to shades of grey, separate the list items with some lines. Maybe add the green/blue accents there.

3)add big-ass slider :)

4)create some on-hover menu effect

5)add multi-level menu dropdowns

6)add more page templates, it feels like most of them are just heading on the left and white box on the right, add mirrored version to it, some more variants

7)add shortcodes showcase page and typography showcase

And never give up, themeforest is great place, and will allow you to improve way faster than normally. In a years time you will look back and think “omg I totally know why my projects were rejected back then”.

1479 posts The right tools with none of the gimmicks
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+6 more
PixelBin says

I don’t know what Jarel and his team are looking at but it’s looking good to me! Unique, good aesthetics, definitely not “significant changes”. Honestly, I don’t even know what to tell you to change, it’s that solid.

168 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
Fuel99 says

I must agree with some people above me, that theme looks way better than some that got accepted before. First of all good job and i’d advise you not to give up.

Only checked the front page and from what i can tell it looks sweet, perhaps implement some changes duotive mentioned before but overall it looks good.

One thing that did annoy me was that huge green button, i think there are more opportunities inside the footer, that’s’ all.

good luck!

364 posts Onuro
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+4 more
ThemeKioken says

If this gets rejected, I think this means designers are not allowed to be creative but copy the popular items that sell. (menu, big ol slider, [icon]title paragraph stuff, and then footer, all wrapped in a 100% width stripe)

Sigh..

629 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

I have to agree, like that one as well. Maybe one can do small improvements but I dont see “the tons of work” necessary. You should ask the reviewer to clarify a little bit what he wants to see improved.

251 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
web_gab says

it’s mentioned that it’s a soft rejection. As far as I know, when you are soft rejected, you are pretty closed to being accepted so you shouldn’t give up this theme. You could follow some of the suggestions above (shortcodes, dropdown, and so on).

607 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Contributed a blog post
+10 more
Siddharth Envato team says

Hey guys,

Since I reviewed this, I think it’s prudent at this point to elaborate a little here.

First up, I reviewed both the PSD and the HTML template previously. After the PSD rejection, I was the one who pushed for a HTML template, since it had a great idea and unique execution.

Secondly, when I say “ton of work”, remember that it applies not only to the front end but also the back end. WP templates are an eclectic mix of code and design—the best sellers here have great design but it’s the extensive, user friendly theme options paired with extraordinary features that make it sell like pancakes. I don’t want to name names here but take a look at some of the recently approved themes and you’ll see how much we’ve come over even just the past few months.

Compared to the current standards, I don’t think the back end options are really up to par here. That’s pretty much the reason I used the word “significant”. Designers generally tend to underestimate the work that goes into making a theme truly user friendly and customizable, in the back end. Again, WP templates are more than just HTML templates with a bunch of WP functions and hooks thrown in. Both the front end and back end has to mesh in perfectly to create a great theme. “Attention to details” isn’t a design-specific phrase, guys. :)

To reiterate, this has less to do with the design itself and more to do with the features and options that the template provides. I’m not knocking the author for his work here, this is an excellent start but this will need more work which is why I soft rejected this and made sure he/she knew there was a bit of work involved to get this upto par.

Additionally, as a quick note, when any of the reviewers are a little unsure about a submission, we make sure to rope in the others for a second opinion—decisions like these aren’t made by a sole reviewer, the entire time signs off as well.

I hope that answered any questions any of you may have had.

by
by
by
by
by
by