• Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Croatia
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
indigoplasmablue says

Hi friends,

I have recently had an item rejected (HTML template). Here is the demo:

http://www.lukamaras.com/demo/resimple/ What puzzles me is that no specific reason was given, other than ‘The overall design and aesthetic quality are not ready for ThemeForest.’. If you take a look at his item that got accepted:

[link removed]

It does not have even nearly the functionality that my template is offering (slider, lightbox gallery, anti-spam contact form) and is NOT responsive while my template is. Furthermore, my pages validate, while some on the said template do not.

Aesthetics? I let you be the judge, specifically in relation with the mentioned template that got accepted.

460 posts Dream big
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
pixel-industry says

The theme you are pointing out is from 2009. A lot has changed since then.. And you shouldn’t point out to any theme on themeforest (againts the rules).

Your theme looks too simple, it doesn’t have enough design elements and needs a lot of work to be accepted here. Just take a look at HTML gallery on themeforest and themes that are axepted now. Learn more about design and todays requirements here. Good luck

indigoplasmablue
indigoplasmablue Recent Posts Threads Started
11 posts
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
indigoplasmablue says

What was strange is that they didn’t say anything about current tastes etc. But it is also strange that items that do not meet the technical requirements are accepted today. I have seen quite a few items where buyers comlain right there in the comments. How can a template that claims to be responsive while it’s not get accepted (I have seen a few HTML5 ones that are like that).

How can I edit my post? I didn’t know that referring to other items was forbidden.

460 posts Dream big
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
pixel-industry says

Maybe you didn’t turn off the themeforest iframe – that’s why it may look like it isn’t responsive… It’s normal that every theme may have some bugs and that buyers are complaining. When you are testing your theme you may have forgot to check something or you do the same steps over and over again and miss something that a user would do.. It’s all ok when the author is ready to fix the problems.. The first thing you have to have here is good and unique design, without it there’s no way to get your theme accepted.

498 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
simonswiss says

The ThemeForest item you link to is indeed pretty bad, but bear in mind that it was uploaded 4 years ago (april 09) – the standards have since skyrocketed and such a template would NEVER be accepted if submitted today.

Regarding your item, here are a few pointers:

1. Change the logo, it doesn’t look good – it also scales up (pixels!) at certain browser widths
  2. The layout is too simple. Plain white background.. Try adding textures, header / footer sections more defined than just a hr separation.
  3. The captions on the slider are not always readable in white (example: slide 4). Consider adding a transparent dark background.
  4. Try to stick to a baseline grid (vertical space between elements). Add more whitespace (padding, margins) and make it more consistent
  5. Add some transitions (scroll effect on back to top links, hover effect on gallery photos, ...)

As is, your template has no chance to be accepted. Sorry to be harsh, but that’s the way it is. I am myself also at the stage where i’m trying to get a first item accepted – it’s been many months of frustration and hard work – still didn’t happen but i believe i have sharpened my skills a lot and the light at the end of the tunnel is not far for me.

Take all the feedback experienced users will give you – it’s always very valuable. I don’t consider myself as an experienced user, but i’ve learned a trick or two in the past year, so i thought i’d pass it along.

Regarding the no-details of the rejection e-mail, you might wanna get used to it. You have to be very lucky or very close to being accepted to start seeing a hint from the reviewer.

Work hard, don’t give up and keep improving your template until it reaches the level it’s expected to!

Good luck!

Simon

PS: Just saw the other messages pop after i finished typing this one – you cannot edit your message after a certain period of time (10-15 min i believe). If you still can, there should be an edit link at the bottom of the message.

indigoplasmablue
indigoplasmablue Recent Posts Threads Started
11 posts
  • Croatia
  • Exclusive Author
indigoplasmablue says

@pixel-industry: hvala! :)

@simonswiss: Thank you so much for your reply. No, I am not giving up, I am pushing until I produce something that will get accepted. I completely agree with you. You were not harsh – you said what needed to be said. The only thing that bothered me is that what you said should have been told to me by review staff.

But I guess if they go into non-objective things like aesthetics, they will get into problems explaining something that cannot be explained by logic. Thanks and I am looking forward to seeing your creations! Good luck, man!

2182 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Argentina
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
manuelvega says

well i think it all said , this theme need more graphic elements looks too plain , & is not a matter of taste .. its about design theory , this website looks empty & have poor graphics , nothing special , simple layout .. you need to take more inspiration . Good luck

by
by
by
by
by
by