2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Firstly I do not want to start any arguments, get flamed etc – this is NOT an attack on TF reviewers – rather this is just a question with regard to my just rejected html template based on my already accepted and selling PSD template – I eventually got around to coding it all up – tested in IE7 , FF2, FF3 Safari, Google Chrome – all good – all working – slider, contact form and lightbox for image pop-outs.

The problem arises that due to it not being overly clear in the instructions for html templates I was unaware that you HAD to be compatible with IE6 – I am not – not even close. However I did clearly state that in my description of the item, and in the selection box for IE6 – but like I said you live and learn and now I know, even though there is a drop down you must make sure it is compatible.

Now, here’s the question, I was rejected on these grounds, but my PSD template of this HTML template is available no problems, but people are asking if I will code it – I did, just NOT for IE6 . So can I now offer this as a free download to purchasers of my PSD Template. via email request or is that against rules?

Obviously it is hurting sales as some comments have stated, but at this moment in time I just don’t have the time to go through the css and “fine tune” for what is a dying browser (I know the stats – that’s not the topic though)

If I am CLEAR on my description that this is only until I get a chance to “hack” it to work correctly, once for sale, if you want html then buy it (presuming it eventually gets accepted) – is this acceptable?

One way or another we as designers do want to ensure that we don’t spend time on items that don’t earn money, however the whole browser IE6 is a touchy subject – I understand both sides – and right now I have quite a few hours invested in this and no time in the immediate to fix things – so if I give it away maybe I just increase sales of something that IS for sale?

Even if you don’t think it’s right, or allowed I really would appreciate feedback to this topic because if the line isn’t clear on this we could, in retrospect offer free downloads for free goodies with accepted items maybe to increase sales? Every other type of business will beef up the offers to increase sales – should we as designers also attempt to “sweeten the deal” by things like this? Is it allowed?

Looking forward to some constructive comments.

1599 posts Chris Robinson
+10 more
contempoinc says

I was looking at your PSD “Modern Business” if this is the one you’ve coded and submitted I really see no major issues that could arise with IE6 it’s a fairly simple layout, header, nav, two columns and a footer. I would suggest putting the small amount of time and making it work in IE6 , it will definitely be worth it in the long run.

I know this topic has arised a few times on templates not getting approved for the their lack of IE6 support, but Jeffrey and the other reviewers have said if its mostly ok and there are a few minor bugs they’ll let it pass.

I know there’s no need to kick a dead horse but I believe if you want to put out quality templates you should put the effort in and support all major browsers, your sales will definitely benefit from it.

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

jonathan – If you want to offer your HTML as a bonus for the PSD downloads, that shouldn’t be a problem at all.

In reference to your IE6 remarks, put yourself in a buyer’s position.

“Joe purchases your template for his company, only to find weeks later that 25% of his customers are complaining because they can’t even begin to use the website. He gets attacked…which leads to us getting attacked.”

Selling a template that is far from usable in IE6 is just unprofessional in my opinion.

As I’ve stated previously, if you can make a theme reasonably usable in IE6 , we have no problems accepting it. A few padding/margin issues, extra spacing, etc….no big deal. I think that’s a very fair stance for us to take.

I recommend that you take an hour or so to fix the issues and be done with it. :)

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
shadow66142000 says

I completely agree with Jeffrey. It’s not that hard to fix a few issues that are related to IE6 which sadly is a must.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

EDIT : It shouldn’t take much time to fix up these issues in IE 6 and IE 7 and then it would most likely be accepted.

If you need any help with the IE 6 bugs, feel free to ask in the forums. Most of us are more than happy to help out. :)

2276 posts Bird is the word..
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Hi guys and thanks for the comments – no I think this conversation has already started to go the way I thought… you should compensate for IE6 etc etc – that really wasn’t the discussion I was looking for as I mentioned – I was simply testing the waters for what can and cannot be included with uploads for FREE with purchased items – I feel it could be an awesome way to encourage larger sales and possibly quicker sales or indeed something to offer for a period of time maybe to encourage lagging sales? Just different marketing ideas on how to sell stuff during slimmer times for everyone :)

Believe it or not I do know how to create websites and fix IE6 errors etc.. (10 years of web development you have to learn a few things along the way) my point was that really if it is REQUIRED then it should not be an option when uploading items – granted this was my first template in html for themeforest. All I could do was read the instructions, look at the upload form, even look at what was available on the site for sale and from that amount of information I gathered that compatibility was not a required thing, rather a purchasers choice and did not even plan for IE6 – I expressly stated it on upload in my description also so that Mr Corporate and his customers wouldn’t purchase an item that will not work for him.

When all said and done Jeffrey I do understand and agree with your description (apart from the 25% ;-) ) and padding and margin issues are not the only problems when it comes to IE6 … but, I still feel that instructions should be far clearer on what is expected.

I still hope this thread continues on for ideas on using rejected items to help push sales of accepted and currently selling items. I think it could be a good thing…

And @XMDSYS… thank you for offering a hand of help.. :)

698 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says
my point was that really if it is REQUIRED then it should not be an option when uploading items

Funny, he? Actually if we can’t choose then it should be removed from option list. Serves no purpose.

536 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Croatia
+2 more
darius9000 says

to make site looks OK in IE6 is not impossible mission. you just have to spend some time on google to discover all the tips and tricks.

and i agree… some “joe” wants his website 100% viewable to all users.

just be patient, work hard, learn and you will make IE6 sites look fine.

by
by
by
by
by
by