255 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • United States
BuchmannDesign says

It was my assumption that HTML templates are ONLY HTML and CSS , with no php scripting. But this morning I woke up with the thought that if an HTML template had a header.php, footer.php, etc it would really simplify a template for creation and for the buyer.

And technically it would still be an HTML /CSS template, and static too since it’s not Wordpress or a CMS .

And it could be taken further by defining site wide php variables to control and customize layout a bit.

Are other’s doing this with their HTML templates, and is this allowed? I think if i modify my existing template to use some PHP , it would be a LOT easier to set up.

255 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
BuchmannDesign says

I may have posted too soon…

The html pages would need a .php extension in order for the header.php, footer.php, etc to work, unless the buyer modifies their .htaccess file, in which case they could use the .html extension.

So can HTML templates actually be .php files, as long as the site is still technically a static site?

Sorry if this is a dumb question! :)

921 posts
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 1 000 000 - 1 999 999 dollars
  • Power Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 500 and 999 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Won a Competition
+8 more
MDNW says

Interesting idea – I for one would love to implement a lot of my templates in PHP , but it’s just not reasonable as it cuts down the potential buyer audience significantly – anyone who isn’t comfortable with PHP would be alienated. Still worth bringing up though. Does anyone have more experience in this matter?

255 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
BuchmannDesign says

It would make it so much easier for the buyer, even if they don’t know php. The help file would just explain what header.php and footer.php are and how they work. That’s far easier than having to edit every page in a site when you modify the header.

364 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United States
chrisfay says

I’ve considered this before, although as a compliment to a pure html site. For instance, you could provide both the static version and a pre-coded php version with enhanced functionality and complete integration of things like twitter or other modules.

But only providing PHP files in my opinion is moving too much into the implementation, which kind of defeats the purpose of a html base template.

24 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
NathanCH says

It’s a great idea. An additional problem would be that most people edit their sites probably using WYSIYG editors such as Dreamweaver and then attempt to view the files offline which is fine for .html, but you can’t do that for .php.

But on the other hand, it’s a good idea if the know a bit about php

by
by
by
by
by
by