• Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

Justin,

mate your one of the most open guys in the team that speaks publcally on the forums.

Do us all a favour, and set up a THINK TANK thread, and get the membership to come up with some iterations.

It would show how much you value the talent on here, and possibly assist in allowing your designers to actually factor a better method into the design.

Perhaps with a Header Badge up for grabs ;)

4505 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

^Australia, you’re in Australia haha… so why don’t you just pop over there quick and kick some butts into gear :D If I didn’t live in Africa, I would probably go over there myself, they probably won’t let me in the front door though :P But the first thing I would do is take an angle grinder and fix that crooked metal logo on the front of their building – it’s really bothering me.

Also the logo is not off topic, it’s key to this discussion.. because when the logo was announced, about 100 people mentioned it needed fixing (the obvious imperfection at the top).. BUT no one fixed it. Probably the same thing will happen with this menu idea – so why do you even ask our opinions?

323 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
familychoice says

In terms of aesthetics, if we were to stick with this basic structure, we’d like to see some refinement and polish for sure. In terms of functionality, we’re watching the metrics, and it’s far too early to draw conclusions.

I think the issue is less about aesthetics (though obviously these could be improved, as could the company branding), and more to do with the current site architecture and resulting navigational structure.

Envato is expanding rapidly as a company and a marketplace, but you can’t just bolt on another menu when more sections or features are added to the site. Without proper planning and logical integration things get messy – and ‘patching up’ isn’t going to provide you with a long-term, scalable solution.

Before you do anything else you need to rethink the current sitemap and underlying architecture. Once done an intuitive and elegant solution to your navigational structure will be more apparent and easier to achieve.

I find navigating the site as a customer a very unintuitive and fragmented experience, and that’s not just down to multiple menu layers or distracting logos.

5388 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

@DigitalScience

pmsl @ angle grinder !!! Mate they wouldnt listen to me, I am just a Tangerine Pawed Old Fart in Brisbane.

Must admit, I dont think they have thought thru the analytics.

The new menu will generate tons more clicks.

Cos no one knows which f$# ^x%x $g site they are on !!!!

1401 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

^ +1

EDIT: to the analytics comment, not the old fart one HAHA

1245 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+3 more
Pricop says

Let try and get this feedback thread back on track :) Thanks!
Based on the current feedback from users, what is your decision so far? Do you guys consider the option to revert the changes regarding the menu?

This change is an experiment. We’re watching, measuring and listening. The next step could indeed be a roll-back, a step forward, or a step in another direction completely.

In terms of aesthetics, if we were to stick with this basic structure, we’d like to see some refinement and polish for sure. In terms of functionality, we’re watching the metrics, and it’s far too early to draw conclusions.

So the new menu is just an experiment? (I thought that experiments are made on a certain amount of people instead of making it a global release). Glad to hear that you actually consider a roll-back and do a proper refinement of the old menu layout instead of the new one, I was thinking you were going to flat the elements out since you’ve updated your logo and the envato.com website).

2086 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

Must admit, I dont think they have thought thru the analytics.

The new menu will generate tons more clicks.

Cos no one knows which f$# ^x%x $g site they are on !!!!

I am curious about the analytics as well.

First, as Australia pointed out, it’s more easy to click there by mistake.

Secondly, now is the pre-Christmas season, very well known for sales boost (so, probably also the boost of clicks/visits). Wouldn’t this also influence the analytics?

468 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Envato Developer
  • Australia
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
justinfrench Dev says

where did this idea even come from? I’m very curious.

We’ve been conducting buyer research (surveys, interviews, diary studies). Buyers frequently work on projects that require items from more than one of the eight marketplaces.

This prompted us to look at the data and plan a few small, experimental projects like this to see if we can serve that need better. These forums are a goldmine of valuable insights from a passionate portion of the community, but they can’t be the only factor in our decision making.

2086 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

Regarding the joining all marketplaces under the same roof: it has been pointed out so many times in the past that this simply won’t work for much longer. Different marketplaces all have different needs, different sets of features, etc.

For example, lately almost every change was directed mainly towards the “milking cow” known as ThemeForest. For example, all the fuss about comments and tools for providing the (non-obligatory) support. Author’s dashboard page is organized with focus on comments. Therefore my author’s dashboard – and I believe it’s the same with the majority of authors – is EMPTY 95% of the time. For somebody who uploads more files, all of the important info is in the tiny right-side column, while all the space in the main column is completely unoccupied.

And this is just one of many examples…

5388 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
Australia says

Now I do have to disagree with you Justin.

Whilst buyers may well want files from different marketplaces, the fact you cannot Sequentially Buy items from multiple marketplaces in one hit, actually denounces that logic.

Until such time as you provide seamless multi market purchaing, not just the 1995 buy one at a time malarchy, then your menu is never ever gonna be effective.

Add to this, I have never been on TF and thought, dang I really need XYZ from CC, before I complete my purchase.

It never ever happens, I would argue not one buyer buys in this way in actuality.

Theres not even an add to wishlist , which adds the watched item to the header whilst you circumnavigate the different sites.

So in essence buyer finds theme, buyer buys theme end of. If buyer wants plugin, buyer comes to CC, buys plugin, then goes back to TF and forgets wtf it was.

< rant over >

by
by
by
by
by
by