3 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
swaymedia says

Hi, im a big fan of all the envato websites since the start of the psdtuts days. im a wordpress theme designer and i thought that i could do something here with theme forest, the problem is i just realised that 25% FOR THE ITEM YOU SELLS . i thought it was 25% commision that themeforst gets. but its the 25% i get, which absoltyl nothing for a wordpress theme.

please help explaijn thanks alit

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

You start at 25%...After agreeing to become exclusive (items you upload here can ONLY be sold here…you can still upload different items elsewhere) you jump up to 35%. Then every specific $$ sold you go up one percent each time. All the way to 50%. I also believe if you do not become exclusive you will remain at 25% regardless of $$ sold.

Scroll down on this page to see the exact breakdown. Payment Rates

It seems a bit low at first…but you are getting a high traffic marketplace, all the advertising, and not having to handle any of the other business stuff besides actually creating the theme taken care of for you. As you climb up the percentage ladder you will realize the rates are reasonable…there are a bunch of authors on FD already making 50% and are pretty successful financially, doing so.

352 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
+1 more
danharper says

Exactly. I thought it was a bit low at first, but then I realised that by using TF I ’d be getting a lot more sales.

Just look at some of the popular files on FlashDen. Some have only been up a few months and sold over 450 times at $40. Even if that user isn’t an exclusive author, he’s made $4500 from ONE file.

Selling them himself, he could get the whole $40, but would get MUCH less sales.

250 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
simnor says

Yeah I have to agree, I have posted about the pricing a couple of times on my blog and people have slammed Envato as all sorts because they are “taking too much of the designers money”, but in reality you are very unlikely to sell the volume you do on TF anywhere else, for example, I have already had 19 sales on ThemeForest and all I have had to do is create the template and upload it, I am also getting people asking me to make tweaks so there is extra work coming in because of it.

25% maybe low to start off with in some peoples eyes, but when you realise that that is all profit because you don’t have advertising costs etc. you will start to build up more sales and eventually you will be earning a sizable income for doing relatively little work.

397 posts I <3 WordPress
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • United States
+5 more
BoxyStudio says

I never had a negative thought about the percentage rates. I knew from the start that my templates wouldn’t just be selling once or twice, they can sell MANY times.

So in reality, you may end up making MORE here selling one template than actually designing that template one time for one person.

It’s really a fantastic community and a great way to make some extra cash, and sometimes even extra-extra cash :)

I love you Envato :D

915 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
+1 more
michaelhejja says

Yep, the number of sales definitely outweighs the initial 25% percentage. I’ve made over 10k on one of my FlashDen files, and am at 50% now after starting 6 months ago. Give it a shot, I’m sure that once ThemeForest gets some momentum, the cash will start rolling in.

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

Yeah…thats a huge thing to consider…you WILL get 100% if you sell it on your own…but the chances of you having higher enough traffic, on top of managing that traffic, paying for bandwidth, advertising and then handling all of the money transactions…just to get a higher percentage…the theory behind it is make less money per sale but sell A LOT more…so you are coming out even at the worst…or you are doing MUCH better here.

by
by
by
by
by
by