156 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
SachaG says

Today I stumbled on this comment on a template:

I don’t see the point of the PSD if its not sliced for us to modify and resave.

This got me a little worried, because I never slice my PSD files. There’s a few reasons. First, I hate that photoshop will export all slices, even the ones that you don’t use, resulting in tons of useless images. But most importantly, I almost never export slices as they look on the screen.

I like to use the sliding doors technique to make my columns or buttons stretchable, which means I always leave out a lot of extra space in my images.

So what I usually do, instead of using slices, is copy each “slice” into a new document and tweak the parts that need to be stretched there.

For elements that can change colors, like buttons or headings, I’ll actually create a separate PSD file at the right size, to make exporting easier for the buyer.

Anybody else use this method, or are you all masters of the slice tool ?

631 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says

I do it the same way as you and think its a far superior method for the customer. That way if he or she wants to change an image they just open the psd, edit it and save it without the need to slice or change the name.

And techniques like sliding doors or image sprites are pretty inconvenient when using a single sliced psd file as well.

By the way: you can command photoshop only to export slices of your choice…

699 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+10 more
segen says

All PSD files in site templates should be sliced.

I know mine are for sure.

You must consider that a buyer maybe has little to no experience in PS and wants to change the logo or make some small changes. If he works inside the slices he can be sure that his design won’t fall apart after exporting new images.

128 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
GeertDD says

I stopped using the Slice Tool long time ago. It just doesn’t cut it most of the time, as illustrated in the first two posts.

My workflow? Select, crop, hide background if needed, save for web.

352 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+6 more
danharper says

I also haven’t used the slice tool in a long time. I always associate it with tables, and I find it much quicker/easier to select parts myself.

However I can understand why the PSD Templates should come with a slice overlay (it doesn’t take long to add in, anyway).

156 posts
+3 more
SachaG says

I’ll consider adding a slice overlay, but I’ll also add a paragraph to my help documents explaining my workflow and how to re-export the images my way.

By the way, I’m glad to see I’m not alone in my disregard for the slice tool !

245 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
enhancedmedia says

slice tool?..... eww

68 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
rblalock says

I use the slice tool for elements that are easy to pull out. Then I go through and hide layers, etc. (which I don’t use the slice tool).

Sometimes if a client supplies me a PSD with a lot of layer effects, hiding all unnecessary layers and eliminating transparent pixels causes a problem with the layer effects…so that’s when the slice tool is useful.

Other than that….I think it’s an outdated tool.

217 posts
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
CreativeStable says

I don’t use slices either. I do provide a couple different PSD ’s though… usually a separate one for the navigation because I use image replacement and its important to keep everything in place…. makes it easier for the client.

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says
This got me a little worried, because I never slice my PSD files. There’s a few reasons. First, I hate that photoshop will export all slices, even the ones that you don’t use, resulting in tons of useless images. But most importantly, I almost never export slices as they look on the screen.

You might want to go find a tutorial on how to use the slice tool and its associated features. You don’t have to export those extra slices.

I do use the slice tool although I will admit that I don’t design my PSD ’s to make it easier when slicing and exporting like I should. If a PSD is properly designed, you won’t need to hide any layers or make any adjustments when it comes time to create the slices. Then exporting the images is painless and very easy to edit later.

The slice tool makes things a lot easier and if done correctly a lot faster. If you want to make mass edits, it’s not very fun to open several different files to make maybe simple color edits to each one and re-save all the images.

Anyway, just my thoughts! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by