356 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Malaysia
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
billyf says

...because I managed to remove a website illegally distributing all TF items (including mine) after contacting a few parties. At least the website is blank now. It may reappear after some time when the owner switched his web host, but for the time being, nobody can access those illegal stuffs.

This also makes me wonder why can’t Envato hire one or two agents to help us authors fight against piracy. We can certainly appoint someone to do these for us (else what do lawyers do? only give legal advice?)

1673 posts Multimedia Artistry
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
dnp_theme says

I did this too this week :)

25 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Pakistan
Ornlu says

And here we go again.. :D In b4 the Envato hate starts.

1034 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
BenSheppard says

Urgh… he only has to make a backup of his website, remove the on you’re on about and upload his backup go another website or multiple websites

• Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

Urgh… he only has to make a backup of his website, remove the on you’re on about and upload his backup go another website or multiple websites

I don’t think “he” can do it forever. I don’t know Ben, you seem to take “his” side isn’t it?

363 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+2 more
OrangeIdea says

I Vote for badges for billyf

356 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Malaysia
billyf says

And change his domain name? As long as he’s still using the same domain name, I’ll just keep tracking the webhost and ask to remove it. Using a different domain name would mean he has to start from zero again (at least when it comes to Google search results). I don’t care if he posts it somewhere else (there’ still plenty of websites putting illegal download links, but I just hate that website).

If you wonder why I do so much work on removing that particular website, because he reuploaded my items after I have filed a DMCA takedown notice on the previous file hosting website. I really can’t tolerate with that.

I did this too this week :)
Great to hear that someone else is also doing it ;)

I Vote for badges for billyf
I see your badge there ;) Although I hope to get one, but I’m sure there’s still a lot of work to do before I can get one though.
1034 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
BenSheppard says

I don’t think “he” can do it forever. I don’t know Ben, you seem to take “his” side isn’t it?

No it’s just pointless fighting pirates.

356 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Malaysia
billyf says

If everyone thinks it’s pointless, the whole internet will be dominated by them. Yes, you can’t totally remove them, but it makes a difference for people who visit that website. At least they can’t find these ‘free’ stuffs for the time being.
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
dnp_theme says

That is your opinion and a few others only. FYI: a newbie author having his works on file sharing sites is a real problem. The chances for survival are basically none. For others it’s probably free advertising.

The struggle for survival does not make any sense having these websites doin’ bad to us.

Ben, you don’t have any good selling items and you don’t have any of your items hunted by these sites, so you don’t know how it feels like having your work available for FREE download. In my humble opinion I think you should keep your mouth shut if you don’t want to help, just because you are NOT in this same situation. You don’t know how is it when the sales don’t move for many days when it used to be fine (but I guess you are comfortable with your sales), and you find 2-3 sites posting 50 download links.

You think taking down those 2-3 sites is hard? Me and the starter of this thread just did it in just a few days. We are 1500+ authors, more than 500 are, let’s say, successful. If only 10-20 of us unite against them, there will never be any TF items out there for free download. NEVER. Nobody will ever dear to do that.

So why not taking them down? So that our clients have a chance to test before buy? They can easily ask for a refund if they are not satisfied. ANYTIME.

EDIT:

Ben, how would you feel when you get dozens of support requests from people who refuse/don’t verify purchase? Also your sales didn’t move for some days… would you be angry a bit?

by
by
by
by
by
by