• Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Netherlands
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
ArikB says

Okay time to rant.

Firstly, none of you know what I read and how I read. My bookshelf currently consists of books on design, typography and programming with a few works of fiction (some in german (school)) and mostly crap. Today however, I bought the “Divina Commedia” by Dante Alighieri. Yes, unlike many, I am going to go beyond “Inferno” and also read “Purgatorio” and “Paradiso”. Having said that I am of course reading a translation, since I can’t read Italian anyway, let alone old Italian. This of course causes me to lose any grip on the technical aspect of the book (for the people unknown with this work, it’s poetry).

SO, on to the core of the subject.

Whenever I read a book I don’t really want to read OR I want to get a book done fast I set small goals. This is either 10 pages or a chapter, if the chapters are short enough. This enables me to read most BIG books within 1-3 days.

Now, this has worked for me in Dutch, German and English classes. I really recommend this method to anyone who hates reading for school…or just hates reading.

Now, since I always try to expand in the field of design I have attempted to read many an ebook, like “The Real Deal” (I think it was called that) by 37signals, Progressive Enhancement (forgot author) and a few author ebooks. These are all free by the way and people interested in web/interface design should read them imo (and a lot of other people’s mo’s).

I have noticed that unless the books are VERY small, I can’t read an ebook. I don’t know if it’s the screen – even though my macbook pro adjusts the brightness of the screen to the surrounding light – or that it’s just the temptation to do other stuff on a computer, BUT I CAN ’T DO IT .

I HATE EBOOKS .

I managed to read half of “Neuro web design – What makes them click”, a part of “the four hour workweek” and basically zero of “top down investing…bla bla”.

I just can’t friggin manage it. I’m at a point where opening an ebook, unless for SPECIFIC research purposes (like my paper on fractals), just annoys me.

I am not burned out and I definitely do not read these books for fun, I read them for the information. Success is my drive and it comes mostly from knowledge.

Am I the only one though?

.:goes to amazon to order books:.

P.S, for all of you who are wondering why I am so big on reading fast:

I took a year off before going to uni, here are my goals for this year:

Start a blog/business, begin outsourcing by the end of the year
Get into shape, become harder, better, faster, stronger (I do martial arts).
Learn to program (since getting programmers on your side to work with you is hard)
Increase my knowledge of design and marketing, with special focus on e-marketing, information architecture and user interface design.

All of this of course while still reviewing and generally living a life.

So, there!

1173 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Motionreactor says

Whenever I read I have to do it in the bed… can’t relax and focus otherwise. So inevitably the MBP heads up to bed with me too…(it helps to be single! It is an older laptop and keeps me warm too, lol) I’m currently reading the 37Signals book you mentioned “Getting Real”. I agree though, it can be seriously tough to read ebooks, too many distractions. Reading is all about comfort for me.

1537 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
dSKY says

yeah , me too. If I’m really interested in some book , I buy the paper version.

988 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

i hate e-books as well, however some of them can be really helpful on specific topics.

18 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Poland
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
glowform says

i love e-books :)

i have read almost as many e-books as paper ones, doesn’t matter if it’s on monitor, ebook reader or my mobile, just love it.

333 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • South Africa
Tamixes says

I love reading, but there is something about an ebook that just doesn’t make it as much of a tangible experience.

I’ve also tried wowio for ebooks but it takes forever to load and I can’t flip between the pages the way I do with a real book (I love kiddies books and encyclopedias)

I’ve been considering getting a kindle, but I’m not sure if it would make it here to SA. At least I can sit on the couch, or lie in bed and read with a kindle.

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

I think the hardest part of e-books is the medium you are reading it on. It’s pretty much proven that reading on a screen is different than reading on paper. It has to do with the light emitted and flickering…and a bunch of other things that I read about and dont remember! LOL . I just know I read an article that talked in depth about the various differences.

Thats a big reason for the Kindle’s success. Its a digital format reader, but does not have the drawbacks of reading from a screen. If it wasn’t SOO over priced, I’d have one by now. Another thing I don’t like about it, is how locked down it is. Not sure if it even supports PDF ’s that aren’t purchased through their “bookstore” marketplace.

If they opened it up to support any standard document format, from any source. And also provided a means to convert things like business documents to be readable there as well, I think I’d buy it in a heartbeat. The problem with the Kindle is that they are more after the sales from the books, rather than sales from the hardware. Still waiting for a dedicated reader to come out without all of the limitations.

2201 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Netherlands
ArikB says

I think that it also depends on the style of book.

Example:

(The 37Signals book = technical) == okay to read on a (mbp = my workhorse)

Second example:

Dante = not technical…I can’t describe it actually. != to read on my mbp.

333 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Gold Mo Grower
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • South Africa
Tamixes says

@MarkBrodhuber – yeah, the lack of support for books that aren’t purchased through amazon is a big drawback…

I also think another drawback of eBooks is your learning style -I know I’m a sequential learner and I like to SEE where I am in a book, very difficult to see where I am in an ebook. I have to scroll to see where I am. My hubby on the other hand has no problem with reading eBooks, He earned his BTH and over 40% of the books he used were downloads and he read them on screen. I prefer to print the stuff out and flip through it (not very practical for an eBook)

4893 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
+5 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

I’m about to start some training through video courses like Lynda, I’ve had too much trouble with both eBooks and real Books in the last few years. I’m just one of those people that get bored with reading. As stupid as it sounds, I may have gotten completely through 1 book, my entire life. 2 tops.

by
by
by
by
by
by