• Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

...yep, i have a dream about a project that can turn into something great in the near future. Actualy this idea originated in my mind a few months ago when i start to be more active on Envato marketplaces as an author. The reason why this project was not started yet, was how i feel about advertising my envato stuff by my self. At first i didnt much agree i must advertise my stuff at all as i am already leaving 60% of my money to envato and Envato schould advertiser my stuff (somewhere i still feel i am right on this). We all know that new design for all marketplaces is comming out soon with some additional features and improvements, but at the recent version there was really few things that i was missing heavily as an author. This things was discussed on various forum threads and mostly based arround better marketing and the usage of social media platforms and bookmarking services ect.

I have a business partner that we work since few years together on various freelance projects. Neel (my partner) was so against from the begining to join envato as an author and it was hard for me to convience him to jump on the wp theme production vagon on TF. We now have in common an exclusive author account on TF and we will be uploading soon some wp themes and html site templates.

Then i told him about my idea about this dream project, to have an website specificaly created where we will display only our envato marketplaces stuff. We start to brainstorm about how we can make this better and decided to expand this a little. The final form we come up with is to include all marketplaces and allow any author to display their own items on the site with a link to the item page and link to the author’s profile. Since this can be an quite complicated task, we decided to allow limited number of items and rotate them weekly so that as much as possible different author items get rotated and we are planing an weekly shedule for this.

The page layouts and design is all ready so faar and most of the templating is done. We are planing to launch officialy on september, 10 and we have some sneak peek for you uploaded on Flickr…view it here . I have also added some notes on that page that explains a few details which you can view here (rollover the image).

To see other page layouts, you can visit this page on flickr (to view the images larger, click on the image and then from the next page click on “all sizes” icon on the top of the image).

Well, i dont want to make this post huge by typing all features. Once the site is launched officialy, we will have more detailed explanetions on how we plan to let as much as possible authors from all marketplaces benefit from this site and will also publish some articles on what are the plans to market this site (just so you know, we have 4 very agressive marketers with ton of social media experiences working with us for years). We will inform you also about what are the results you can expect in return having your item thumb on the site, how you can join, the general rules etc.

I may post also some updates on this thread, but i dont want to promisse much and 2nd i am not sure i will be allowed to do this. Actually i dont think this will break some rules here since at the end of all this Envato benefits most and all this for free :-). I and Neel, we have writen down many notes related on how the site will be operated and we have some great ideas for generating massive site traffic…updates on this will follow soon.

We hope you like this plan…any comments and feedbacks are much appreciated :D

edit: and sory again for the massive letter, didnt expect it to be so huge LOL

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Hey Thomas – I appreciate you being open with the community and what you are planning has to be commended by all – after all this is a win win situation for all involved.

The only thing I worry about is that all your efforts COULD be wasted when the new design is brought forward – I am PRAYING that they will introduce a far more robust and feature rich affiliate scheme that will allow anyone with the smallest knowledge create a white label affiliate site to display all or some products and drive traffic for a small percentage – this could upset your plans – not sure – but I DO wish you the best and for sure you can count me in for more exposure etc – it’s all good man.

Thanks again for sharing your “dream”.

988 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Turkey
  • Won a Competition
thomas07 says

i agree with you, at first this project was in plan to take the place of a such affiliate site and same time display only our items (sort of “envato stuff” portfolio site), but then we simply expanded this and our aim is to make something bigger from this.

For sure you can be very right on what you say…the possibility of “have a nice dreams” for this project exist…it much depends on what the new marketplace sites updates are about and what are the improvements on the affiliates side.

At the end, even if all efforts was for nothing (on our end) this site will still remain as base of our own envato items + we can always use the blogging function to feature some other authors in a form of “product reviews”. This is still good extra exposure for any author, especially if its on site with good amount of traffic.

7173 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+1 more
doru says

I like your project even if its more a way to get referrals for you :P

Maybe you should wait for this redesign stuff to understand what they change in the marketplace.

4901 posts
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Support Staff
  • Envato Staff
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
+6 more
MarkBrodhuber Staff says

I like it Thomas, the concept is great. In terms of design though, not really feeling the ad placement on the actual item pages. Something about ads at the top of site really throws me off. While designers love ads, it makes extra money, when its put before the content is when I don’t like them. Its like watching TV and having a scrolling ticker on the bottom or the side that says

“hey buy this, no wait, buy this, check out some more stuff to buy…Were you trying to actually watch this show!? Thats dumb, you should be buying this!”

other than that the design is coming along nicely.

900 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
CheshireCat says

Love the concept, love the design :)

I wouldn’t wait around for the re-design because

a) I think we are all going to be holding our breath for a whole lot longer yet

b) maybe im just in a negative mood today but I’m not expecting all that much from it. I think that people have built it up so much now that no matter what they bring to the table it wont be good enough.

c) no matter what is changed, this concept will at least still be beneficial to you.

Good luck with it Thomas. I hope you do keep this thread updated as I know I would certainly like to see/hear how things progress.

900 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
CheshireCat says

Grrrrrrr wont let me edit my post…

Just wanted to point this one out to you though Thomas. Someone had a similar idea on here awhile ago > shareocean.net, it was abit of a ‘flop’ hence why the site is no longer online.

http://activeden.net/forums/thread/social-network-built-around-envato-technologies/9049?page=1#76804

2322 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+1 more
CreativeMilk says

Nice idea but why duplicate a site, dont get me wrong but why sould i visit your site first and not the envato sites? You are just redirecting the traffic.

I had this idea a couple of months ago and came to the conclusion that it was a little bit of a waist of time for me ;)

But i can be wrong and this site will run like roadrunner ;)

I think that envato will come with a similar idea, like the tuts+ site, some day.

3868 posts
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
+4 more
flashjunkie says

Does anyone remember ShareOcean? Very similar concept and never got off the ground, only a handfull of members registered and very few went back more than a couple of times.

By all means persue this project but this is just a heads up, if shareocean is anything to go by, its not likely to be very successful.

Good Luck.

8186 posts Community Moderator
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Community Moderator
  • United Kingdom
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
+4 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

yeah I remember shareocean… the community is all hear in the forums so I agree i’m not sure why we’d go elsewhere to look at stuff when its all already here…

by
by
by
by
by
by