2276 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Hey everyone!

In the last few days I’ve messaged Envato on twitter about this a few times, and got a response asking for links which I sent several of and was agreed with that this needs addressing and I think it’s about time something was done.

The Facts:

HTML = TEMPLATE WordPress / Joomla / Drupal etc = THEME

Anyone who doesn’t understand this shouldn’t be creating items for sale in all honesty and Envato shouldn’t be accepting HTML templates that are advertised as ‘Whatever Name Theme’.

What’s Happening:

Because buyers look and see THEME, they think it’s a THEME (obviously) and buy it, then find out it doesn’t work in WordPress (or any of the other CMS’s) and get angry, demand answers from sellers, give negative feedback because it doesn’t work, ask for a refund from Envato which no doubt involves 20+ people to do.

The Solution:

Do yourselves a favor authors, stop calling your HTML templates ‘themes’.

Do yourself a favor Envato, stop allowing people to call HTML templates ‘themes’.

Do your buyers and users a favor Envato and authors and stop calling HTML templates ‘themes’.

The majority of buyers here understand to look in categories, but a lot do not. They look at the pretty pictures, see ‘theme’, know they have to buy a ‘theme’ and think they got a bargain for $15 – when in fact they opened a can of ‘not a theme but a template’.

We should all be concerned about this because it’s a simple thing to implement and check for the reviewers, it should be common sense to authors. No one wants a user of this marketplace or possible buyer to have a bad experience and this particular simple issue is just the start of a bad experience.

I don’t see illustrator vector files advertised as Whatever Name – ultimate Rasterized Photoshop File on Graphic River so let’s pull our socks up a little here people.

Want to see how many there are – hit the ‘Site Templates’ (see it’s called TEMPLATES) category and just start counting away….

OK… rant over with and hopefully this will gain some traction.

Jonathan

1045 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

I agree with your point, but does it effect you directly? Obviously it effects everyone on the marketplace indirectly. We don’t want unsatisfied customers and extra work for Envato to deal with something that shouldn’t be an issue. I’m just not sure why it gets under your skin so much.

+8 more
jonathan01 says

I agree with your point, but does it effect you directly? Obviously it effects everyone on the marketplace indirectly. We don’t want unsatisfied customers and extra work for Envato to deal with something that shouldn’t be an issue. I’m just not sure why it gets under your skin so much.

Because it’s wrong and so easy to understand and fix.

And yes, everything that is good or bad here ultimately effects everyone, Envato, buyers and authors.

1045 posts Best-dressed man at PressNomics 2013
  • Has sold $1M+ on Envato Market and is now a Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold more than $1M on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+10 more
Parallelus says

Because it’s wrong and so easy to understand and fix. And yes, everything that is good or bad here ultimately effects everyone, Envato, buyers and authors.

I hear you. I get annoyed by the unoriginal naming. You think the marketplace would be better if every third item wasn’t called “Flat” or previously “Metro”. That drives me NUTS!

+8 more
jonathan01 says

Because it’s wrong and so easy to understand and fix. And yes, everything that is good or bad here ultimately effects everyone, Envato, buyers and authors.
I hear you. I get annoyed by the unoriginal naming. You think the marketplace would be better if every third item wasn’t called “Flat” or previously “Metro”. That drives me NUTS!

I hear ya! ;)

4377 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+6 more
Dzinc says

Hi Jonathan, thank you so much for the feedback. This is the Review Team’s current position on the matter:

“Theme” doesn’t explicitly indicate any particular platform of CMS or other system (including WordPress). “Theme” could simply mean a visual design theme. We won’t be reviewing items for this in the title so I would recommend that buyers look at the category they’re buying from and ensure they’ve read the item description to best understand what the product is before they buy.

However, rest assured that your feedback will be kindly forwarded to the Review Team, and if there are any changes to the current policy, we’ll make sure everyone is promptly updated. Thanks for your understanding.

4336 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

Do yourself a favor Envato, stop allowing people to call HTML templates ‘themes’.

I’ll take the blame for the team here, I’m an avid defender of capital_P_dangit() and themes vs. templates vs. Symphony Ensembles. I’d say I fix ~90% of the bad titles, but sometimes they can get through.

FYI: It’s Joomla! templates

We’ll be more pending and thanks for raising this concern.

+8 more
jonathan01 says

Not blaming you at all Ivor – sorry about Joomla! ;)

As for the official response – you may want to check that definition around the web – it’s well explained here from WordPress (which is against your argument in that comment):

What is a Theme?

Fundamentally, the WordPress Theme system is a way to “skin” your weblog. Yet, it is more than just a “skin.” Skinning your site implies that only the design is changed. WordPress Themes can provide much more control over the look and presentation of the material on your website.

They then explain what a template is:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Using_Themes

You can’t theme a html site, it’s got to have it’s template files and associated CSS etc for styling and function – therefore there is nothing to ‘theme’ – it’s all template based.

I appreciate Envato looking at this and taking it in to consideration.

Jonathan

4377 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+6 more
Dzinc says

Hi again Jonathan, thanks for the additional information, it has also been added to our Community report. We’ll be sure to keep everyone informed if/when there are any updates.

by
by
by
by
by
by