445 posts here for love
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+7 more
nCrafts says

These scams just keep getting more convincing. I got an email long time back: a Chinese company wanted to buy a domain of mine. The email was quite convincing. However, I couldn’t anything about that company on the net. I still wonder if it really was a scam email.

3556 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

are you in jail yet?

I’m not :D

Thanks for all the feedback guys! I appreciate the support! :)

As i said at the beginning i wanted to remove the file anyway, since it doesn’t have more than 4 sales / month. However, i will not do it asap, because i don’t want the guy to think that he’s one. I will write an email to him today expressing some of the points in this thread and see what comes out of it. I am also thinking to CC the email to Ken Burns to see if the lawyer is real or not..

1875 posts YOU TOUCH IT YOU BUY IT
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
FRESHFACE says

If this isn’t allowed to use the name, how come Apple can use ‘Ken burns effect’ in iMovie?

Isn’t this the same?

I would love for you to post the response you receive from Support just to learn about this :)

Just watch this, it’s Ken talking…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeqlHmhio4s

He is funny @0:55

173 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
wiseguys says

If this isn’t allowed to use the name, how come Apple can use ‘Ken burns effect’ in iMovie?

Isn’t this the same?

I would love for you to post the response you receive from Support just to learn about this :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeqlHmhio4s He is funny @0:55

In this video he says that Steve Jobs asked him if it’s ok to call this effect the Ken Burns effect. I’ll bring you meat balls in jail man.

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

In the age of internet how can someone believe he deserves some right to anything. There are tons of dudes with the very same name across the world, do you kill them just because you want to be unique? Plain stupid.

Sue him, Ken Burns!

5358 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

Isn’t this the same?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeqlHmhio4s He is funny @0:55

I think this is the answer to the problem. Instead of just saying “Ken Burns Banner”, it needs to say “Banner with Ken Burns Effect”.

The first might hold up in court but I highly doubt the latter would. In fact, to play it super-safe I’d probably say:

“Banner that simulates the famous Ken Burns Effect” with the “Ken Burns Effect” part linking to the Wikipedia page. Because in that context it’s very clear that Ken Burns himself has nothing to do with the product.

5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

The Effect that simulates the Ken Burns Effect, but not in the biblical sense.

On a side note was the legal letter from a Legal firm, called Murphys Law ( lol )

3556 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

@CJ: My file is called XML Slideshow with Ken Burns effect.. This was my main point in the email i’ve sent to them.. I’m now waiting for a reply.. Each time i see “one new email in your inbox”, i get the chills :D

4662 posts Love & Light
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

I think the issue is: using a company / product or persons name to push a product which makes profit without consent of original creator.

We can’t say stuff like “Apple like slider effect” so I think using someone else’s name is also a no no… just take out all mention of “Ken Burns” and you good to go, I guess “Ken Burns effect” is a bit of a grey area but its similar to using a company / product name, and clearly Ken agrees :P he proabably googled himself… saw your file.. and thought, what this guy is making money off my name, lets sue! ... Hey I think most of us would do the same?... if I saw something like “digitalscience style” design or something for an item name making someone else cash

5358 posts The Dude Abides
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+9 more
CodingJack says

@CJ: My file is called XML Slideshow with Ken Burns effect.. This was my main point in the email i’ve sent to them.. I’m now waiting for a reply.. Each time i see “one new email in your inbox”, i get the chills :D

But it does say “the best Ken Burns slideshow” a few places so if the above is you’re main argument with them I’d maybe consider changing that :P

by
by
by
by
by
by