1716 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
gbs says

There are a lot of choices. The $500 budget is for the whole set or just body only? Do you mind buying a second hand device?

For Canon, you can go with 550D, 600D etc., or you can find a 40D or (luckily) a good 50D body at that price. For Nikon, you can go with D5000 , D5100. D90 is a very good choice. That’s about the body.

About the lenses, with your budget you may only get some low price kit zoom lenses but I recommend using fixed lenses. With a fixed lenses you are easy to get started with photography terms (which you need to). It’s about the lenses not the body that affect dramatically on the image quality and effects.

Good luck on finding a DSLR :)

2967 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
TNL3542 says

sorry but 500.00 for a camara thats crazy..the most i ever spent on a camara 225.00 and its a touch screen from sony

4606 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Canada
  • Community Ambassador
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
+6 more
KingDog Staff says

sorry but 500.00 for a camara thats crazy..the most i ever spent on a camara 225.00 and its a touch screen from sony

DSLR photography is a bit of a different ball game :) Once you get bitten by the bug most photographers will find themselves with thousands of dollars of gear in no time. Don’t ask me how I know this…

1111 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Malawi
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
chiccosinalo says

gear gets addictive with time, the more you know the more you want more stuff. i have spent almost $4000 and still going.

100 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
ActionFoundry says

I’ve got a 600D. Bloody love it! If you wanted to go deeper into the video side of DSLR ’s have a look at Magic Lantern software

12 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Ireland
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
acott says

I’d also highly recommend the 600D, I have it’s bigger brother the 60D and its an outstanding camera for both pictures and video

46 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
GraemeVoigt says

I’m addicted to my Cannon 60D , but I’m not sure how much you will pick one up for these days. Checking eBay would be a good start.

1567 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • India
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
rahulbist says

I have Nikon D3000 . its entry level and with less functions, but quite good for a beginner. I am happy with the quality of photographs.

Decide which type of photography you want to do. you may need more lenses than the kit lens. so, budget will rise.

e.g I am in macro photography. so, I bought Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm. it costs will around $300.

1373 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

The reflex market updates quite quickly, professional photographers change their bodies quite fast, so i think you can find really good deals on second hand market, if you find a reliable dealer. Also, never (EVER, EVER ) buy a reflex+lens pack. Buy just the body, and spend some bucks on a good lense. Good photographs are taken with the lens, not with the body. Body will give you features, speedness, usability, but not image quality, except for the sensor size.

+1 / thats it!

by
by
by
by
by
by