19 posts
    Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in United States Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
bradgriffin says

Dear Envato [chiefly Themeforest], I’d like to write a constructive love letter and embrace the openness and oneness that has become this beautiful relationship that I’ve formed with you.

First off, this has got to be one of the best relationships I’ve ever had. When I was younger, I had a relationship with Mr. Themes, first name Elegant. And once I realized that Romanian and Texan are NOT working languages for support and comprehension, we split up.

I will admit that I’ve flirted with Woo and perhaps used a plugin or two from them. And, yes I have indeed occasionally glanced at Creative, but, so far, it’s been a ‘glance’ and nothing more (I promise)

Yet in the midst of all my options, I still find myself coming back to Y-O-U!

Why? It’s your authors, it’s your price, it’s the quality you demand from your authors, and… I love taking long walks on the beach ... With you ... Via my tablet. Yes, I know I’m not in Australia, but Texas? Australia? The only difference is you have more ocean.

I feel so close to you though! And, because of that closeness, I want to – very lovingly – ask a favor of you. Could you please add some more filters to your WordPress Themes?

Yes, I see the ‘tags’. But it appears that those tags are created by the author. And, I would NEVER ask you to remove one of your better qualities. Those tags are a great way for the authors to emphasize what ‘they’ think is best about their theme. And there is no way I’d want to see that gone.

What I’m asking is for some filterable features (such as, to include, but not limited to) Form Builder / Page Builder / Revolution Slider / Flex Page Builder / Retina / SEO / ....

You see, Envato, I am a buyer. And, while I could go onto a million websites to buy another monitor, I usually go to Amazon.com or Buy.com. “Why” you ask? Because, using the left side bar, I can filter and drill down to precisely what I need within seconds. It’s a great feature!

Don’t get me wrong, I’m still completely in love with you. But I feel that we’ve been together so long that our relationship is needing to move to the next level. I need to be able to quickly communicate exactly what I’m feeling, exactly what I’m needing, and I need to know that you hear and understand what it is that I’m saying. I’d love to give you all the attention, all the time, and all the money I have, but…. well…. it’s not you, it’s me.

I’m busy. And, I know I don’t have as much time to spend with you as I used to. But that’s part of maturing in this relationship. I need to quickly communicate what it is I need. And I need to have confidence in knowing that I can quickly count on you to communicate back to me that you understand what it is that I’m looking for.

Please, add some filters. I hope you understand.

With all my heart, -Brad http://themeforest.net/user/bradgriffin
475 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
FlatKing says

This was beautiful

336 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

Hats off to you Brad! Such a beautiful way to express your needs and concerns.

I agree 100% percent with that you said and it makes complete sense, more so that the market has grown so much. We really need a better way to filter items. People struggle with an unfortunately mostly irrelevant search function that’s very description dependent. Maybe some filters probably suggested by authors and accepted / rejected along with the items by reviewers would make much more sense nowadays.

Anyway, awesome “essay” mate.

Alex

249 posts JoomFX.com
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+3 more
joomfx says

This is a truelly awesome letter! Great style Brad, it honestly touched my heart :)

Yes, a new Search/Filter System is really needed. It’s been discussed from quite a long time and hopefully we’ll see some changes soon ;)

3429 posts
    Has referred 1000+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+10 more
sevenspark Envato team says

hahaha this was fantastic. Humorous, lighthearted, but with a serious request and some great feedback.

We absolutely need better ways to find files, specifically faceted search / filtering. I know that the majority of the community is with you on this – and I think it is the single most important feature the marketplaces are lacking, both for authors and customers.

I do believe this is being addressed, just not sure exactly when we’ll see the results from Envato.

Anyway, just wanted to commend you on a great post! Constructive feedback + good natured humor = awesome :D

19 posts
    Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Located in United States Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
bradgriffin says

ok, the shorter version: I spent about a day and a half going through the themes to finally find the one I was looking for, when it could / should have only taken a few hours. Make it easy to take my money and you’ll get a lot more of it!!

:bigsmile:
2263 posts Bird is the word..
    Has referred 200+ members Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Make it easy to take my money and you’ll get a lot more of it!!

This right here should be enough from any buyers mouth to be a catalyst for change to a glaring issue we’ve had for far too long now.

I commend you, Brad, on your approach.

Jonathan

19 posts
bradgriffin says

...and yet… Here I am again! ...this time I’m looking for two themes. Ready? Ok!

I know that there are multiple themes that have ignitiondeck already integrated into the theme. “So, here I go again on my own, going down the only road I’ve ever known. Like a drifter I was born to walk alone…..”

Seriously, I click on “wordpress”, so I know it was a WordPress theme. Then, in the right side bar, I attempt the words “ignitiondeck” and I get one theme. It’s this one: http://themeforest.net/item/be-human-charity-multipurpose-wp-retina-theme/5326773?WT.ac=search_thumb&WT.seg_1=search_thumb&WT.z_author=CrunchPress ...great theme, but – remember – I’m looking for ALL the themes that have ignitiondeck integration already built into it. So, I click on the tag at the bottom of the right side bar (which is added by the theme author) fully expecting to see ALL the themes that have “ignitiondeck” somewhere in their description, title, or anything else. And… what happens when you (or I) click the “ignitiondeck” tag that? Only one theme comes up! Of course it’s the one theme that came up originally!

Let me say again, this is EXACTLY why you don’t leave the “TAG CREATION” up to the authors! (love y’all author folks btw!) You MUST PROMPT THEM! (radio box, check box, something!)

Next, I’m looking for a real estate theme with idx integration. What? Themeforest + Real Estate Theme = No problemo! Step right up and pick you a theme! ...wait, not so fast. I’m looking for one that I can use with dsi express. First, not too many Real Estate theme have ANY idx integration. So that leaves me with a handful. Then, I’ve got to narrow that handful down to which one’s have dsi express already built into the theme (“You can use any idx with our theme” and “DSI Express already integrated” are two TOTALLY separate things!!)

So basically, I’m looking for a needle in a haystack of themes (technically, I’m looking for two needles). Did I get on themeforest with the intention of buying two themes? YEP! And did I waste WAY too much time looking for the themes? ABSOLUTELY. So much time that I went with a default theme from IgnitionDeck.com, and the second project is still “in the air”.

Seriously Evato / Themeforest, I love ‘ya, but you’re gonna have to start making it easier to take my money. You’ve got way too many themes for me to have to spend hours each week digging around the site to try to find one that works.

You lost some money this week. I’m sorry. I love you. Please forgive me. I’ll be back. I promise. But you, and some author just lost a few sales this week.

I really think we need to go to one of those “Couples Seminars” to work on communication.

336 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

You lost some money this week. I’m sorry. I love you. Please forgive me. I’ll be back. I promise. But you, and some author just lost a few sales this week. I really think we need to go to one of those “Couples Seminars” to work on communication.

Brad, for a person that just lost so much time without getting what they wanted, I swear you have an amazing sense of humor. Nice to see that and good observations once again. Filters need to be implemented as soon as possible.

Alex

5336 posts
    Member of the Envato Team Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Located in Canada Joined us in one of our Envato Live Events
+12 more
KingDog Envato team says

Thanks so much for the feedback Brad! The good news is search will soon be getting some rounds of love :) It’s been a long time coming!

by
by
by
by
by
by