I need a theme that can help me transport my static website onto a Wordpress environment.
A little explanation is in order, I believe: I run a website dedicated to “comicjamming”. A comicjam is a comic that is created by multiple artists – one artist does the first comicpage, and then another does the next aso aso. My site has existed for more than five years, and more than 250 artists from around the world have participated.
This is the site we have today: http://globalcomicjam.com/index.php It works, but it’s very plain … very static … very boring.
I have made this PSD , to give you an idea about what it is I’m looking for, but it could REALLY be anything – just as long as the functions I need are there: http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/udgang99/layout_03.jpg
The problem, as I see it, is that all the comicjams needs to have a way of being updated easy with a new comicpage, and there has to be a way to show the newests updates on the sites frontpage.
If you want any more information, please feel free to contact me on my email: udgang99 [a] gmail [.] com
Oh … I have a very limited budget.
Oh … I have a very limited budget.
What do you consider ‘very limited’? Might be nice to know for the other readers.
Anyways, I know there are lots of talented people around here, good luck finding one
Good point … hopefully not more than fifty bucks …
Hey, I’m still looking for a coder to get this beast running again. I wrote this more detailed description of what the site needs to be able to do. Hopefully someone can do this…
As I mentioned, this is the old site: http://globalcomicjam.com/index.php
I would like to tell you a bit about it, so you can get an idea about what the site needs to be able to handle. Right now it’s build upon a Coppermine-environment, and I would of course like to transfere it to Wordpress. The site, Global Comicjam (GCJ), went online December 1st 2003 – more than six years ago. We have had more than 200 users from all over the world, and together they have created many hundreds comicpages. A while ago we had a problem with the database, so the site went off-line. I decided to use this opportunity to start from scratch … all the old comics would be put in a closed archive, and we would start a batch of new jams. I have been looking at WP-themes to use, but haven’t been able to find anything that would suit my needs – and that’s when I wrote my post on TF’s forum, which you replied to. Which is pretty damn awesome, I think!!! I sure hope we can get this beast up and running again – there are many people that are asking me when GCJ ’ll make a return.
Okay … it’s important that you fully understand what the site is suppose to be able to do, so here goes:
-A “comicjam” is a comic that is created by many different artists. One artist does the first page, another does the next aso aso … there often are no script, we just make the story up as we go along.
- Ideally, people will be able to sign up for a jam with the click of a button. When they do, they will be added to the “waiting list” ( http://globalcomicjam.com/content_schedule.php#38 ) The waiting list was created specifically for GCJ by our last webmaster … I have no idea how it works, but maybe you can figure that out, and find a way to move it to the WP-theme.
- A typically “ComicJam-index” ( http://globalcomicjam.com/thumbnails.php?album=1 ) has a short description of the comicjam along with thumbnails of all the comicpages. When you click one of the comicpages ( http://globalcomicjam.com/displayimage.php?album=1&pos=0 ) we get a little info: Who drew the page, when it was uploaded, the authors comments and the readers comments. I was wondering if it is possible to make that with a kind of “lightbox”-plugin, but I don’t know if it’s possible to include all the info + the “write a comment” on that.
- In the old days I updated the site totally manually – I had created the site with simple html. But the site we have now is “automated”, which means that the users, when they are loged in, can sign up to a jam by the click of a button, and when they have made their page, they can upload it directly, and when an administrator approves it, it goes online without any greater work from my side. Can we do that in WP?
Soooo … I made THIS design ( http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f292/udgang99/layout_03.jpg ), which was NOT meant as a design for WP … I would like to make a NEW design for that, BUT some of the ideas are still on my list of things I would love to see on the re-launch. Basically, this is it:
- There is a big box on the top with the text “You make the story” ... I was originally thinking that that would ONLY be visible as long as you are NOT logged in – as soon as you log in, it disappears. But, now that I know more about WP, I was thinking it might be a slider … ? - Below that box, we have five smaller boxes (three blue, one orange and one grey) which represents each comicjams. On the frontpage of the old site, each comicjam was represented with a general jam-icon including a thumbnail of the LATEST comicpage. Now, I don’t want the thumbnail, but just want the jam-icon and some info. On the top it tells what kind of comicjam it is (comicjam, myjam, scriptjam, chaosjam aso), then there is a static jam-icon with the title overlayed in grey. Below that there is a short description of the genre of the comicjam, then how long ago it was updated, and then the name of the artist. Below that there are three small icons: “left arrows”, which takes you directly to the FIRST page of the comicjam (page 1), the “house” takes you to the comicjams index page, the “right arrows” takes you to the LAST page in the comicjam, and the “Sign up” let’s you sign up to that particular comicjam. -There are five jams on the front page, but there is suppose to be many more jams than that – and only the five comicjam that where updated last are shown here. If you want to see all the other jams, you have to click the “More Comicjams”-button on the far left. -Then we have the “Word from the editor”, which is basically just a text-widget … -At the far bottom there is a lot of stats … number of users, latest comments aso aso …
Okay – I think this is it. I’m kinda writing this in a frenzy, So maybe everything isn’t as clearly described as it could be – please ask!!!
Okay, I guess that means that it’s either too big a job for only 50$, OR that it’s not possible to do in Wordpress…?
Wordpress will not help you with this types websites, that’s because of few reasons, the main one is that wordpress does not have a strong membership system and as far as I understood from your explanation above that you want the artist to be able to sign up/in to edit a certain comic right?
And another issue I did not really understand from your explanation. Do you want a custom web site design and coding or you want a CMS Theme?
More clearer explanation will help
in that budget, i can do a coded template design for you, just send me an email
you want the artist to be able to sign up/in to edit a certain comic right?I want the artist to be able to log in and post/upload a new comicpage. Like a new post in a portfolio, I suppose.
Do you want a custom web site design and coding or you want a CMS Theme?Sorry, I’m not sure I understand the difference between those two. I would like to transfer GCJ onto Wordpress… I can provide PSD ’s for the design (but really, any design will do, as long as it’s functional), but I can’t code a damn thing myself.
@Campolar: I have send you an email.
- Please read our community guidelines. Self promotion and discussion of piracy is not allowed.
- Open a support ticket if you would like specific help with your account, deposits or purchases.
- Item Support by authors is optional and may vary. Please see the Support tab on each item page.
Most of all, enjoy your time here. Thank you for being a valued Envato community member.