56 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
Mladjo says

My template have been rejected for the following reasons:

“This template still doesn’t scream premium and required some detailed touch up in term of styling, typography, alignment, lines, spacing etc.”

I don’t disagree, don’t want to contempt because I read about quality standards, envato policy…

First thing is that I think I could create new template (web2, business, grunge …) on top of this which will be probably accepted to themeforest but I wanted to to create minimal design which will differ from most of other templates. Next thing is that when I look to other templates or sites I could notice what should be done to improve them but as this one is my one and I’m kind of personally attached to it I’m running out of ideas.

So please help me to find out which details and other things mentioned in reviewers remarks could be changed in order to improve my template but keep it minimal as possible.

I would really appreciate any suggestions and critics even more.

Thanks

Here is URL http://themes.hemsida.ws/

315 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
bitpub says

The things I would consider revising:

1. The Cu3er slider. Switch it with basically anything else. By now I think the reviewers are sick and tired of it as well.

2. The sub menu would probably look better if you didn’t make the font style italic

3. The line just below the cu3er and the line that starts the footer stand out too much. maybe a softer color is better along with a bigger width

4. The arrow used for each item in the sidebar could be better

5. nicer social icons could be used – here is a nice free set http://jwloh.deviantart.com/art/Aquaticus-Social-91014249

6. the footer is too simple. You could consider expanding it into a 3 column footer followed by the copyright message. Some of the content from the sidebar could be moved in the footer like the About me, Social Media and the Stay up to date

7. get rid of the line separating the sidebar from the main content and find a way to delimit each sidebar widget

8. the Read More links could be styled to look like buttons

9. add some color to the template to lighten it up. For example the read more buttons mentioned above could change on hover to a nice color

10. use better pictures for the preview. since you design hasn’t got much color some colorful pics would lighten it up and make it look more attractive. a good place to find nice pics is http://www.flickr.com/creativecommons/by-2.0/

11. improve overall typography – here is a list of minimalistic tempaltes with excelent typography for inspiration – http://www.1stwebdesigner.com/wordpress/minimalistic-clean-free-wordpress-themes/ A minimalistic theme I really like – http://midmodesign.com/work/

56 posts
+1 more
Mladjo says

I really appreciate your time spending on reviewing my template but that is not what I’m asked for. I want cu3er to be there (there is also alternative slider jquery cycle). Line that you mentioned i could change but that’s not gonna make difference. What is really wrong with my template I have to ask?

371 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
QwibbleDesigns says

The subtle differences are the big differences. A slight change here and a slight change there can make all the difference. The same layout is there, but it shines out more.

And I know exactly what you mean about trying to review your own work compared to others. It so hard xD

38 posts
  • Located in Germany
iKreateIt says

Hi Mlado,

I don’t think there really is anything ‘wrong’ with your template. I think it’s absolutely beautiful in it’s minimalistic style and absence of bright colors. I really, really love it.

No one except the reviewer can tell you why this isn’t premium, it certainly looks so to me.

The only thing that stands out to me and which I would change is the hover effect over the headings. The text is smashed against the border of the background, there’s no padding to it. That’s just a subtle difference, but I think it would improve your template.

Oh, and other thing: the style of the dropdown menu doesn’t really match the overall site style. Also, it’s wider than the parent menu item in the top navigation bar.

Other than that I can’t offer any ideas. Like I said, I am very impressed by it, it’s really beautiful. Very nice work.

371 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
QwibbleDesigns says

I have one problem with the navigation, and thats the delayed time that it remains showing after mouseout. I got started looking at another bit of the site and realised it hadnt dissapeared yet. Maybe have it fade out aswell, as it remains there and suddenly dissapears. Maybe make it fade in and out with a much lower pause on mouseout.

659 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 50+ members
+3 more
luckykind says

My 2 cents…

You have 3 different fonts going: Georgia, Courier and Whatever the one is for the blog titles…. they also are varying weights across the site that seem inconsistent (especially on the Help page, different font-weights and divider line thicknesses)

I’d clean up the help page and get rid of Georgia, because the “Whatever it is” font looks nice however the 3 don’t seem to work together, in my opinion…

Minimalist style is a fun style to do… but it’s easy to go from minimalist to boring… I’d throw a bit more color into it, more then the subtle grays and blues… but again… that’s just my opinion :)

hope that helps… good luck!

56 posts
+1 more
Mladjo says

What hit me first is @bitpub replay that I have to look on http://midmodesign.com/work/ site for typography inspiration. Well that is actually site that was first inspiration for my design.

@iKreateIt submeni is intended to be wider than menu items and I agree that there could be something done but I never received message from reviewers about that. Regarding the heading hovers: since it is 4th version of design I tried lots of other combination but overall template still wasn’t good enough.

@QwibbleDesigns I know about delay on menu it is right now 1000 milliseconds I can change it but actually it is not what make my template looks like free one :)

Thanks to everybody I send message to reviewer and hopefully he will tell me what I have to improve.

Otherwise I will upload this template to wordpress theme directory so someone could find use of it.

814 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+3 more
rvision_ says

I can’t say I’m impressed with your theme, but I don’t find it bad.

In fact, I’ve seen a bunch of themes here which are MUCH worse.

56 posts
+1 more
Mladjo says

Thanks to everyone for trying to help. I’m considering different things but still don’t know what to do with template. I still didn’t received response from reviewer. A suppose I’m gonna start to work on something else is looks like dead end for now.

by
by
by
by
by
by