1049 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

Hello all

3 years ago I’m joined AudioJungle as an exclusive author, in that time I got around 400 sales, 190 followers, 75 items and 76×5 stars rating. While I don’t think that is terrible, is quite far from my expectations.

Sadly I can’t get enough time to create lots of new songs each month, I can barely have enough time to write and post 1 or 2 songs per month, which (except in the top 5 sellers) seems a must to sell more.

From the comments I get here by the community, buyers, etc about me as a musician and the quality of my songs, they think that are very good, or at least, good enough to be competitive. I’ve also tried to be original, different music styles, instruments, etc to diversify my portfolio… Ok, I’m not a big fan to add ukulele to all my songs all the time (no offense please), again I try to add original music, and I think that’s a positive thing for me and AJ. Moreover I’ve tried to use twitter a lot to promote my songs, I’ve design my own site to promote my music, I have an active profile on soundcloud, add cover arts for each song, I’ve actively participate in the forums and I’m starting to upload my videos to youtube.

I think I’ve have done almost everything that Scott Willis recommends to improve my chances of success….Please don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect to be like Tim McMorris or Soundroll, I just want to feel that I’m get some progress. And I feel a little lost, like I’m going to nowhere.

So I think I have 2 options to try to improve my chances, one would be invest some money (not much) in an AdWords campaign to try to attract people directly to my songs (or at least get money from referrals if they buy something from another author) or push myself further and try to compose maybe 2 more songs per month, to achieve a total of 4 on average … Due my main job, father of two kids, etc, it will be really a lot of work to achieve that goal…

My question is, do you people believe that increasing the flow of songs per month (maximum 4 songs per month) will significantly impact on my sales?

Someone else has experiment with adwords campaigns in any Envato marketplace and notice any direct benefits from it?

Of course if anyone have another idea I will love to hear…

Thanks for reading this, and sorry about my english… Rodrigo

50 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
Kerosene-Music says

I feel your pain,

I too am in a similar boat and have been doing lots of soul searching. I had all but written off AJ over the summer and fall… mostly reason was While I was getting around $75 a month, I kept waiting for it to hit $300. Which I thought was an attainable goal..being very happy to grow in increments. Improve along the journey ect… I starting posted more songs to the exclusive portfolio. I also play in a country rock band where obviously the immediate cash after a gig or selling merch….and writing music from more of a write when inspired type of perspective was making more sense. With a lull in the season and finishing a bunch of shows..AJ in late Nov all of sudden there was some activity some sales….so I was like..hmm maybe Ill take a fresh look at things…so, starting composing more appropriate tracks…uploaded a few more. Started re designing my website..posting it..and using twitter again and made more you tube videos… did a couple blogs… looked at Google analytic s..and it climbed briefly..a spike..ect..I updated sound cloud.. starting cleaning up my AJ home pages..adding links from the website ect..a bunch of stuff…the only sales in that period were because of a new track. Starry Eyes..3 sales so far. It was because it was just uploaded….. now those sales have stopped last few weeks. It just doesn’t seem productive to hammer hammer hammer writing recording and releasing 3 tracks a week…for a few sales, so I basically just do it more so when I’m inspired to do so…Ive been looking at some other areas to showcase my music and future tracks, some of these places wont take part because of the selling of tracks on what they consider dirt cheap marketplaces. So I may be building new songs and a different approach to the more specialized marketplaces. I’ve learned alot from the process here and I ve taken away from it new methods of promotion and lots of ideas by some very creative individuals. So I’m very grateful for my royalty experience so far. I plan to have 5 star tracks that may or may not end up on AJ depending on the outlets I find for the material. I think the best way is to find a balance between your art and sense of commercial appeal and build the best online profile you can while being a creative artist first and a stock music seller second. Artist like Helen Austin, and some of the top guys at high sought after listing sites. (I wont mention names). Guys like Tim McMorris has sort of done it because he is more often than not a folk singer songwriter appealing to those same sensibilities in the advertising world. It’s a natural fit for him and comes across in the way he composes and sings his melodies. He is an itunes artist and has sort of come up the ranks through the backdoor for lack of a better term. What I mean by that is not through traditional channels. I think you have to live by the rule of commonality, which in short speak simply states…if you can fill a need in yourself or hit an emotional chord by simply writing first and foremost for yourself, invariably other people will like it. I think be an artist cause you love to do it, and keep in mind while you compose some of those advertising sensibilities… build your artist profile online as a an artist first that will also appeal to licensing. It’s easiest to go with your natural instinct and what comes naturally, like soundroll and Tim. Thats what I’ll be doing this year anyways. :)

291 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
soundengine says

....Please don’t get me wrong, I don’t expect to be like Tim McMorris or Soundroll, I just want to feel that I’m get some progress. And I feel a little lost, like I’m going to nowhere.

The cold hard truth is you either expect to be as good as soundroll or be content with where you are. :D

Each year it’s getting harder to sell regular underscore type of music with no distinctive feature even if it’s produced with best quality.

I wouldn’t recommend paid promotion (adwords, etc.) but you can try youtube.

1049 posts
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+7 more
Sonicbyte says

Hey thanks for answering so fast…

@Kerosene-Music I do exactly tat, at first I create song with “commercial” mind first, but it was hard for me, so I simply try to make music that I like first…and then I twisted a little t make it more commercial.

@soundengine

I think there must be a way to fit in between those 2 worlds. It’s true, the music here needs to be more and more distinctive sound or character to succeed due the massive amount of authors and songs (and I think I’m doing that with my songs, at least I’m trying)...But if the only way you can earn decent money here is to be like Tim or soundroll, the 99% rest of us are screwed…

If my problem is to not upload enough quality songs per month, it’s ok, but I’m not sure that could solves the problem alone…

As I said before, the problem is the lack of motivation, the lack of progress even when I’m doing all what I should…I think many of us feel the same, and it’s a shame, I think there are wonderful music here that is buried under tons of others music without any chance to be sold…May be it’s just me…

291 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
soundengine says

But if the only way you can earn decent money here is to be like Tim or soundroll, the 99% rest of us are screwed…

Unfortunately, that’s the only way. I guess only top 20 authors or so can make a decent living from AJ sales. Rest of us need to look at it as pocket money or look for other opportunities outside AJ.

As a newbie, you join audiojungle and say “I make money with my music, I’m so happy!” Then you invest a lot of time and money and two years later you say “I can’t make money with my music, i’m so screwed!” That’s our problem. I’m in the same boat as well :)

393 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Twisterium says

Hi there, guys. I just want to say that I understand your disappointment. In a 2 or 3 years everyone of us is going to be elite author or like that. But the truth is that audiojungle is a competition of hundreds of good authors (many of them extremely talented and gifted). The reviewers try to highlight some of newbies or good unknown musicians posting them or their songs to main page. But sometimes it’s not enough. Buyers more often look through bestselles to save the time (as actually I do when looking for photodune picture or videohive template). The name and elite badge matters here.

From the other side some of new guys here have good enough sales, up to 1000 in a year or more. I don’t know all the reasons why but I have few assumption. 1. As is said above the point is to write commercial music, (not experimental music, not for listening or for yourself). And the main categories are still motivational, symphonic-cinematic, folk. 2. It’s definitely important to be “visible” by posting new themes at least 1 or 2 times per week (as elite authors actually do). 3. To have promotional program via youtube and so on (as elite authors actually do). 4. To improve quality of your tracks by training ears and buying gears.

Of course guys all that things are obvious for us and we still wonder why we haven’t a plenty of sales. Because the main reason (as I’ve noticed for half a year being here) is to be loved by videhivers and be in contact with them!

Well we won’t give up. We will work hard. And I still believe we will have silver paw one day!

84 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+2 more
spakse says

Hi all. I on AudioJungle for 2 years, but … I think that the creation of music (no matter what quality it is) is not for everyone, and for me it is in the first place is a favorite pastime. At this point I try out different genres, but has not yet decided on what to stop. Maybe it will last a lifetime :) aha ha. Among composers, there are people who express their individuality in their work. And any piece of music to be different and to be remembered. But success will come sooner or later. All I wish to achieve the desired.

131 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Taiwan
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
+1 more
buddhabeats says

I don’t create stock music, but I purchase stock music. I’ve never once clicked a google adwords link while looking for stock music. I typically purchase in bulk, like Sound Ideas for example. But when I’m looking for that one special track that’s not in my library, I go to sites that are bookmarked in my browser. I personally don’t follow individual producers and the music they put out. So all of that is to say that I wouldn’t recommend spending your money on adwords.

This next part I would take with a grain of salt. Perhaps for your specific situation being an exlclusive author here isn’t the best approach? If you really don’t have much time to make songs, then perhaps it would be better to spread your music over multiple libraries? Some of your “stagnant” songs here would be “new releases” in other marketplaces – perhaps giving them a new lease on life.

Again, I’m not in the stock music business, so my thoughts could be way off. You’ll just have to look at your own personal situation and see what will work best for you.

25 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Ukraine
GarryGavrosh says

Not clear to me more. Why can not we upload songs to the site in their own language? I’m always interested to hear folklore of the world, not only English. I am often looking for just such a record, and I think that not only I am looking for such songs. I am sure many of you are perfectly able to fulfill their own songs.

25 posts
  • Has sold $1+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Ukraine
GarryGavrosh says

Second. How many of those present put out their music in iTunes? What results have sales? And further, that we understand the sales, explain how your music is popular in a particular region? I mean how big the local popularity of artists, bands and artists.

by
by
by
by
by
by