• Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
CyberLeaf says

Hi!

I submitted today my new WP theme, a responsive single-page wedding theme that you can check here: http://www.andrea.baroni.name/wp/gettingmarried/

It got rejected… I can accept that of course, but the problem is the generic rejection response I got, which I truly hate: “The overall quality of your submission does not meet our aesthetic and technical requirements and will need to be improved before being resubmitted. Unfortunately we’re not able to provide more specific feedback for your submission at this time.”

Ok, I don’t seek sympathy here… just a honest feedback on how to improve it. I am usually very self-critic and I have been creating websites for many years now, so I think that I can be enough objective with my work. What I honestly think is that this theme of mine does not deserve this “it’s so bad I will not even waste my time helping you in improving it” treatment.

It is a simple single-page theme.. it’s not meant to be fully featured, to have a blog or to be sold as an expensive WP theme (we are talking of a wedding theme after all, not a corporate network).

Does it lack too many features? (a guestbook maybe, I was willing to add it later, but for the first release I hoped this to be enough) Does it have a bad design? Is the way I created the back-end?

I can anyway assure that the admin is technically well-done, with custom posts, custom admin screens, shortcodes editor, etc.. and the help manual (that you can check here: http://www.andrea.baroni.name/wp/gettingmarried/helpmanual/help_manual.html ) is very detailed… but I truly doubt that the reviewer got this far in reviewing my item.

So, I don’t really know where to go from here, and I feel really disheartened by this response from the reviewer. Do you think that submitting the psd layout alone would be a good idea? (so to focus on the layout first)

Sorry if I may sound a bit annoying here.. I just need some help from the community :)

Thanks!

ps: I know my theme has the same name of another wedding theme here that just got approved some days ago… bad luck, since I decided the name almost a month ago. But I think that this is not among the rejection causes (and I will change the name anyway I suppose).

3423 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+4 more
sevenspark Volunteer moderator says

I only have a second to take a quick look, but two things jump out at me:

1. Vertical Rhythm is off. Specifically under “Our Love Story”. Check your margins and line-height for headers/paragraphs.

2. The menu seems unrefined compared to the rest of the site. I’d revise that.

I’m not wild about the background color, but that may just be personal preference.

Good luck! :)

13 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
CyberLeaf says

Thank you sevenspark for the suggestions! I agree on the menu, and I will definitely try to adjust the vertical rhythm as well.

by
by
by
by
by
by