742 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
GrizzleFX says

Hello,

So i know i’m not a professional motion graphics designer, but i really enjoy working with after effects and when i found videohive i thought i could make a few bucks on the side. Currently i only have one file uploaded and recently after waiting nine days to be submitted, another file of mine was rejected. This file was new and unique, i did not find anything like it, but i was still rejected. The reasoning was because “but that background light and particles in combination with plain white logo somehow don’t leave professional impression”. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUYzaYPo0uk

The link will bring you to the video, honestly i think it looks simple, professional, and unique, but then again i’m new to this. I need some more opinions, thanks.

3919 posts After Effects Templates
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+8 more
miseld says

I know how do you feel but reveal is to simple work more on design :( Good luck next time and you are not the only one who wait 7-8 days in queue

5076 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Helps us moderate the forums
+11 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

An experienced designer will see things that you don’t see. Where you see a way cool effect, an experienced mograph person who’s been using AE every day for 10 years sees the Wave Warp effect and can pretty much taste the keyframes.

There’s nothing intrinsically wrong with a flat white logo and you probably shouldn’t take reviewer comments all too literally or too much to heart, but the whole package doesn’t quite add up design-wise. It feels like a grab bag of different stuff borrowed from here, there and everywhere. It probably got rejected because it doesn’t offer anything different or better than items that are already on the market place.

But you do have an advantage over an experienced designer here on Videohive… you have more to learn and making these projects (and getting them rejected) is helping that learning process.

Keep this project and in five years time, when you are a professional motion graphics designer, take five minutes to look back at it. You’ll probably understand straightaway why it was rejected.

In the meantime, push the boat out, have some fun, make something crazy.

688 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
videologio says

When I joined to videohive, more than 10 of my files were rejected! Work makes you better animator :) Don’t stop!

348 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
+6 more
andrenavarre says

Keep this project and in five years time, when you are a professional motion graphics designer, take five minutes to look back at it. You’ll probably understand straightaway why it was rejected.

In the meantime, push the boat out, have some fun, make something crazy.

+1 + 1 + 1 I am a new author on VH ( a few months ) and already I’ve had a few files rejected. Most of the time, it’s because I didn’t take the time to think about how the file would be attractive for people to buy, and this is the first rule and first step for VH in my opinion. Unique is one thing, but marketable is something completely different! It can be difficult when you don’t see eye to eye with what the reviewer says, but hey, it’s really an opportunity to take a break from that project and look back on it later and improve it when you can collect your thoughts. Criticism is good my friend, just remember it’s not personal!

I really agree with felt_tips on this one… If you are still doing motion graphics for a living in 5 years time, you will look back in total understanding!

Do what you love, and don’t give up on your dreams.

“But you do have an advantage over an experienced designer here on Videohive… you have more to learn and making these projects (and getting them rejected) is helping that learning process.” (felt_tips)

There is a lot of wisdom in this statement and if you look at it in the right light it can be very inspirational. It’s like a mantra from an design ninja master. My understanding is that Videohive is a marketplace and a community that is focused on pushing the envelop. If you look at a file and think “does this push the envelop?” then you probably still need to improve your file :)

One thing I’m not sure about, is wether you can message the reviewer to ask them a question about your file if you are not sure what they mean…

742 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
+3 more
GrizzleFX says

Thanks for the support everyone! @felt_tips & @andrenavarre thanks for the advice, i do have lots to learn, and usually i do look at what the reviewer said and try to address the problem that prevented me from being accepted. But this time i just don’t see it, is the file unappealing to the eye? If anyone feels like leaving some specific criticisms it would be much appreciated :) and again thanks for all the responses, hopefully i can use this to my advantage.

oh and one more question, once you get a project rejected, what do you guys usually do with it besides trying to improve it? (i have a project that’s sitting there collecting dust.)

7 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
sweetmadness says

hi my friend. I’m quite an experienced designer but also quite new to VH. Honestly till now all my projects needed improvement. Either things don’t load correctly because files are marked missing when opening the project, expressions in other languages or even having wrong spelling in titles in the preview video. I also wait more than a week and mostly a few days more to pass the ‘test’. what i’m trying to say is that VH is giving us the opportunity to make really good work and to get there we all need to give our best. Consider the rejection as a learning process and look at other projects here on the market, compare them to yours and you should find the difference. thats how i do it and you will know what to do better in you project! we all learn from eachother;) good luck and dont give up! if you want it u’ll get there!

best regards, SM

1101 posts inlifethrill
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+10 more
InlifeThrill says

Yeah, keep the files coming and you will get it. A thought that crossed my mind today..it is not healthy to consider yourself “good” based on the environment that surrounds you. The hive is great, no doubt..but you should not blindly accept it as a design compass. There is so much more out there. By no means being successful here means that you are mandatory a good artist.. or vice versa. Once you gain the experience needed, it will be irrelevant where you sell your work at.. it will most probably do well.

At least that’s how I see it.. Don’t be calmed/worried by my opinion :)

-inlife

590 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
flashato says

A rejection is a small earning.

7305 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

on the preview you uploaded I can see some problems with the background and the light as the reviewer had pointed up.

The particle just pop out of existence. You need to play with particular (if is what you used) and understand about opacity over time. The background should get more attractive also, is too bland now.

I like the logo animation.

Note that reviewers usually do not say what problems your file have if there is no chance for that file to get accepted. If is a piece of crap then they will just say that the file doesn’t meet the quality criteria or something like that, without indication on how to make the item better. So keep improving it and it will get accepted.

by
by
by
by
by
by