3 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Oubaid says

Can you please advise me to how to deposit the specific amount to pay for a theme! I don’t want to deposit more! Thanks!

1034 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
BenSheppard says

You can only deposit certain amounts eg. $20, $50 etc

You can pay by paypal which costs $2 extra but you don’t need to deposit anything!

3 posts
Oubaid says

I appreciate your feedback! What I was looking for is to pay the $45 for a theme with my credit card! Why should I pay extra money! doesn’t make sens for me. Right!

7194 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

The theme cost 47$. If you make a deposit you get a discount of 2$ on every item you purchase with the money from that deposit.

575 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

Envato should drop the BS. Having “two prices” for items is confusing to buyers. Don’t make them pay extra to not make a deposit, and don’t hold them hostage with deposits in arbitrary amounts.

Just set one price and charge it. That’s how 99% of commerce works. Simple.

I guarantee potential buyers have walked because they didn’t understand the pricing situation (or want to).

7194 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

Having a 2$ discount on every item if you deposit a minimum of 20$ is not BS. This 2$ discount adds up pretty fast if you look at graphicriver items. In certain cases you can get three items at the price of one just by making a deposit.

Note that if the buyer pay the full price the author gets a percentage from those 2$. Envato is not keeping those money for themselves so I’m not sure why someone should get upset about this.

5766 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Note that if the buyer pay the full price the author gets a percentage from those 2$. Envato is not keeping those money for themselves so I’m not sure why someone should get upset about this.

The problem is not with the size of additional fee; the additional $2 is nothing for a buyer who intends to pay $40+ . It is about the “suspicious force” that pushes buyers to either deposit or to pay higher than advertised. Believe me, many buyers would afraid/hesitate to enter the credit card data if the system seems to be tricky/unstable about price. However, those buyers comes back here later (after gaining some familiarity) and then purchases because of their desperate need about item.

Few years back there were few looong threads posted when Envato introduced the non-deposit purchase option with +$2. Those times, I clearly remember staffs being very careful about not to display “lower end” of price to avoid buyer disappointment and even showed their interest about adding shopping cart in the future (as both deposit and +$2 are not fulfilling many other scenarios). But those sincere days about buyer friendless were all gone after successful industry domination – business aspects completely dominating technical possibilities.

For direct purchases of less than $20, it is understandable to charge additional $2 but couldn’t see any reason for doing the same for more than $20 purchases. This is what I call shooting own leg, the hidden loss is higher than expected gain.

575 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

It is BS, because it wastes the customer’s time.

In a different scenario you’ll see how ridiculous it is. You walk into a gas station:

1. A pack of gum is $0.80.
  2. If you just want to buy the gum, it’s $0.80 + $0.20 fee.
  3. But if you deposit $1.00, the gum is actually $0.80 and we’ll hold the $0.20.
  4. No matter what, you’re paying $1.00 and not $0.80 today.
  5. It’s gum! Why is this so hard!

Just charge $1.00 up front or $0.90 — whatever gets your margin. Don’t make the customer play games and decipher the price. It’s really simple not to screw this up.

3 posts
Oubaid says

You guys are talking about an important issue here in your replies! Your feedbacks are very interesting.. This is exactly what confused me and I was trying to buy an item few weeks ago but this extra charge OR deposit didn’t convince me! Actually they should charge sellers and not buyers for extra money. Like a bank, when you pay with your credit card in a store, it’s the shop owner who pays a small commission to the bank for the service that the bank provided him with! They can simply tell people pay $45 with ur paypal or credit card and your all set! Thanks :)

7194 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

This is exactly what confused me and I was trying to buy an item few weeks ago but this extra charge OR deposit didn’t convince me!

with all respect if you don’t want to deposit just pay 2$ more. The themes are already very cheap and for 47$ you get a great investment back. 2$ is nothing anyway. And 2$ is not a fee or tax. 47$ is the real price. But if you make a deposit then you get a 2$ discount.

Like a bank, when you pay with your credit card in a store, it’s the shop owner who pays a small commission to the bank for the service that the bank provided him with!

wrong, shopowner pay nothing. All business cost are included in the price you pay for your product, including bank fee, various taxes. the client pay for everything.

The problem is not with the size of additional fee; the additional $2 is nothing for a buyer who intends to pay $40+ . It is about the “suspicious force” that pushes buyers to either deposit or to pay higher than advertised.

as probably in many other areas, envato have some issues in communicating. If you are not signed in you should see the full price not the discounted one. Or better, you should see clearly the full price and the discounted one and the reason why is discounted.

Believe me, many buyers would afraid/hesitate to enter the credit card data if the system seems to be tricky/unstable about price. However, those buyers comes back here later (after gaining some familiarity) and then purchases because of their desperate need about item.

may be true, but you don’t need to give your credit card data to envato, actually I think envato doesn’t store credit cards info at all. And lets faced this is a big marketplace, is not an obscure website with two products on display.

It is BS, because it wastes the customer’s time.

In a different scenario you’ll see how ridiculous it is. You walk into a gas station:

1. A pack of gum is $0.80.
  2. If you just want to buy the gum, it’s $0.80 + $0.20 fee.
  3. But if you deposit $1.00, the gum is actually $0.80 and we’ll hold the $0.20.
  4. No matter what, you’re paying $1.00 and not $0.80 today.
  5. It’s gum! Why is this so hard!
Just charge $1.00 up front or $0.90 — whatever gets your margin. Don’t make the customer play games and decipher the price. It’s really simple not to screw this up.

The problem seem to be the communication not the price. Is not clear how much the item cost and why.

But in your example, is not that envato hold those $0,20. The buyer is free to purchase something else like a photo or some buttons.

by
by
by
by
by
by