3605 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

You guys forget that a lot of stock sites work this way (especially Photo sites).. Take any site (iStock, Dreamstime, Photobucket, etc..) – they use credits. So if i want to buy a picture i need 5 credits, but i can’t buy it with $5, because the minimum credit package that i can get is of 10 credits. So i have to pay $10 for a $5 image, but then, i’ll be left with 5 credits in my account to purchase more afterwards..

This business model is in place for absolutely almost all microstock sites in the world so i still don’t get it why you complain that much about it.. It’s normal to be this way because everyone does it and we are used to this pricing model!

So GravityDept – your statement that this is not how commerce sites work is totally false, since this is how it works on stock sites! :D

6081 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+8 more
VF says

@RubenBristian, everyone knows how “photo stock” sites work. The credit system is unavoidable upto certain extent. But it is only upto certain extent.

For $40+ purchases, I believe we are unnecessarily making buyers to feel awkward about the payment system. Envato is few yards different from photo stock ones and most of the buyers here familiar with individual shops that allows smooth purchases without credit system. Buyers (of TF) come here to buy 1 high value item that directly fits their need unlike bulk purchases of photo. This is were different approach needs for bigger amount purchases.

Aw… coming to the photo stock, we differ a lot from other stocks. Even if buyer makes deposit here, he/she should click purchase button of each item instead of simply adding to cart and edit later (and missing quantity choice). The pain and frustration will be visible only when we see examples with real life quantities!

3605 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+10 more
KrownThemes says

@VF i agree that the system is not perfect, but i don’t get it why buyers complain about $2 extra. Yeah, they come for a high quality item and they get it for $47..

6081 posts
+8 more
VF says

@VF i agree that the system is not perfect, but i don’t get it why buyers complain about $2 extra. Yeah, they come for a high quality item and they get it for $47..

So the explanation comes again for the 1000th time:

It is not about the extra $2. It is the “suspection” that makes the buyer to believe someone is forcing you to do either deposit (more than intended) or the price will change. As if somone’s intention is to just make you deposit instead of purchase! :D

I can understand the little suffocation here felt by new buyers but when we are familiar with the system for years, it would be hard to realize how depth this stirs with new buyer psychology :D Again it is only with the buyers who are not familiar with photo stock credit system and those regular buyers of individual shop.

Edit: Anyway, for a $40+ theme I am pretty sure neither Envato wants that extra $2 nor the author. Still we manage to interfere buyer’s time and concentration.

497 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Austria
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
iHelp says

Actually they should charge sellers and not buyers for extra money. Like a bank, when you pay with your credit card in a store, it’s the shop owner who pays a small commission to the bank for the service that the bank provided him with!
Don’t worry, sellers/authors only get 50% to a maximum of 70% of the price of the item.
http://themeforest.net/make_money/payment_rates
638 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+3 more
GravityDept says

You guys forget that a lot of stock sites work this way (especially Photo sites).. Take any site (iStock, Dreamstime, Photobucket, etc..) – they use credits. So if i want to buy a picture i need 5 credits, but i can’t buy it with $5, because the minimum credit package that i can get is of 10 credits. So i have to pay $10 for a $5 image, but then, i’ll be left with 5 credits in my account to purchase more afterwards..

This business model is in place for absolutely almost all microstock sites in the world so i still don’t get it why you complain that much about it.. It’s normal to be this way because everyone does it and we are used to this pricing model!

So GravityDept – your statement that this is not how commerce sites work is totally false, since this is how it works on stock sites! :D

I could argue that “credits” are equally stupid and confusing for customers. Pricing this way because “everyone does it in micro-stock” is downright foolish. It’s always simpler to charge one price. I said that’s how 99% of commerce works, and that’s true.

ThemeForest buyers are not the same as stock photo buyers. Nobody pops in and buys 15 different Magento themes for $90 each. They explore, make decisions, and pick one. I’d bet that the majority of ThemeForest buyers never make another purchase. Credits are an ill-fitted system for that type of interaction.

The ”$2 extra” or ”$2 off” is irrelevant. This is about understanding consumer behavior and pricing psychology. The pricing confusion probably costs more sales than Envato makes by earning an extra $0.66 on direct-purchases.

It doesn’t make any difference to me whether Envato charges $90 or $92. Just charge $91 flat. If the sale doesn’t happen because the credit pricing model is confusing, we both get $0.

Just because credits are normal for micro-stock doesn’t mean it’s at all suitable for other digital products. Don’t forget PhotoDune is still a new marketplace at Envato. I imagine the only reason credits were implemented before its time was because Envato knew requiring users to complete a payment transaction for every individual purpose would be murder.

What I’m saying is that having two prices based on credits or direct-buying is a poor, conversion-killing system for infrequent purchases (i.e. the majority of Envato’s marketplaces). A shopping cart with no-BS pricing would be faster and meet buyer expectations better.

6081 posts
+8 more
VF says

Technically, few “if” conditions on purchase button code can result a lot of love and ease among buyers. :P

by
by
by
by
by
by