• Exclusive Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Won a Competition
+10 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

There may be several points of view in this matter. Personally I can understand why the original author does this. It may sound greedy at first but the flipping effect is quite unique and your file was practically built on top of that. I can’t say it right or wrong but for me I’ll stay away from getting source code that is too special, no matter what license it is. It’ll be so headache and you don’t want to get into legal stuff and copyright nuisance later on.
I agree, though I should point out that that’s the moral issue, not the legal issue (let’s make sure to keep those separate in our heads, not that you weren’t, but for the sake of people skimming I wanted to point it out). The moral issue gets a little weird though because of the fact that the person was an absolute a**hole to mpc…so I guess that depends on how forgiving mpc is :)

I am not that forgiving I spend almost 2 months on my current project and I wont throw it away just because the guy doesn’t like it…

2485 posts Premium Scripts, Plugins and Themes
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+1 more
LucidStudios says

I think your should be safe as long as you use the MIT licensed version otherwise if Envato decides or the law says that you cannot use the script anymore just because the author has changed the license of the script then one day Envato might have to take down whole themeforest.net e.g. if the license of jQuery is changed to a non-commercial license ;)

5854 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly helped protect Envato Market against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Yeah sure, but why did he released this under MIT license in the first place. It was obvious somebody will make money out of it. The MIT license is clear so I think there will be no copyright nuisance later on….

The first thing you need to understand is that author mistakenly released the 1st version with MIT and you are lucky :D Also don’t get angry with the license change, not every one is a lawyer while releasing their 1st product, may be he understood something after your way of usage. It is not that difficult to understand the frustration of that author but that doesn’t mean you are losing anything except spending time to make sure you did everything correctly. In my opinion, you should show some pity towards that guy.

1660 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
+4 more
flashedge says

Ask for a commercial licence and buy it at once. Simple.

3072 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

Well.. how is this working? How can he use the old licence if the script is not available in that format? I mean.. the old licence was the one that existed in the past. Now the file exists under another licence. How can someone target a file licence that is not existent anymore?

4140 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Brazil
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
tsafi says

^ mmmm logic also

1234 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
MBMedia says

I think your should be safe as long as you use the MIT licensed version otherwise if Envato decides or the law says that you cannot use the script anymore just because the author has changed the license of the script then one day Envato might have to take down whole themeforest.net e.g. if the license of jQuery is changed to a non-commercial license ;)

Yep, even wordpress itself has MIT licensed files included in it’s download…what’s that, like 15% of the most trafficked pages on the internet and 22% of all new sites going up in the U.S? MIT protects them from things like license changes, that’s why it exists and that’s why they use it.

491 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Won a Competition
  • Referred between 1000 and 1999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+3 more
pixelentity says

Well.. how is this working? How can he use the old licence if the script is not available in that format? I mean.. the old licence was the one that existed in the past. Now the file exists under another licence. How can someone target a file licence that is not existent anymore?
Regular license for envato buyers would still apply if item gets deleted or uploaded somewhere else with different terms.
1234 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
MBMedia says

It is available because mpc already had it as a MIT licensed file and was already granted those rights when he downloaded it. And even now the MIT license gives mpc the right to put up his own site to re-distribute that version of turn.js that he originally downloaded as MIT if he wanted to (though I doubt he’ll go quite that far).

If I remember correctly Away3D even was originally a version of papervision (MIT) that someone downloaded, changed some stuff they wanted to change, and put up again on sourcefourge for download renamed as Away3D instead…all perfectly legal and the pv3d team couldn’t do anything about it (nor would they have wanted to, that’s why they released it MIT ). Now PV3d is all but dead and the Away3D team took their place using code that originally started as papervision’s.

MIT licensing is basically giving up all rights to the MIT licensed part of the code except for the right to keep the MIT license info at the top of it. The reason people do MIT licensing is because by licensing your file as MIT it gives people the confidence to actually use it knowing that as users of the file they are afforded protection and rights as well, otherwise no one would want to invest time into a product using that code when at any time the author could just say “license change, royalty time!”. That’s a former common practice: release for free, make popular, change license later, get big royalty check. That’s why browsers are moving away from h.264, technically it’s license terms would allow the original author to implement royalties later on. The MIT license terms had in mind protecting users from exactly that, and authors use MIT because that protection gives potential users the confidence to use their code.

1414 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • United States
WebSmacker says

Ha! I just read his comment on your item. He doesn’t have a lawyer. He is just trying to scare you into giving him money. He is jealous and wants to change the license to try and give him a leg to stand on. Unfortunately it is just a pirate leg that is rotting so he will fall soon :) Don’t worry, you will be OK :)

by
by
by
by
by
by