• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Denmark
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+5 more
Zeplix says

+1, This is what should be considered seriously. The guy who made the core work deserves atleast some basic level respect from users.

I think this is key. I think that’s most of what I find dislikeable about many of the posts in this thread… there seems to be a complete disregard for the original creator, even though he’s the one making it all possible. Common respect, that’s the very least you can do, instead of post after post just going “tell him to go F himself”.

934 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
graphicmind says

I don’t understand; how can a script that is being distributed outside of the Envato marketplaces be used in an Envato item?

What happens to exclusivity….?

1234 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
MBMedia says

In the course of discussion I think a few important parts of the series of events were forgotten:

What happened was that MPC used a piece of MIT licensed code (which was perfectly fine and normal, we all do it, jQuery is MIT licensed code as well). Not only did MPC credit the creator of that code, but also intended on donating some profits to that author.

But the author of that MIT licensed code, after noticing that MPC had made a product using it that had made some money, decided to “change” the license and then contact MPC to ransom him and demand amounts of money from the product (fairly substantial amounts) using scare tactics, false accusations, and threats.

Since then there’s been 2 lines of discussion:

first: legally can he do that? (the answer unambiguously being “no”, the MIT protects you from that, that’s one of the reasons it was originally conceived and written, that’s been discussed to the point of beating a dead horse and you should read from the beginning to learn about that part of the discussion)

second: morally it was always right to both credit and monetarily reward the author of that MIT licensed code for their contribution, no one argued against that. But after that person’s ridiculous behavior MPC is a little less willing to do so than he originally was. And honestly none of us were on the receiving end of the threats and accusations being put forth by that programmer, so I say we shouldn’t judge or attempt to judge MPC for feeling that way.

7182 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

I don’t know if this advice was given already in the thread but…

just ignore him.

you can’t use that third party code from now on off course.

5759 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Yeah, mpc didn’t made any mistake and infact was ready to pay for commercial license. That’s all any author in this situation can do to help the original author’s mistake of choosing wrong license.

That’s one part of the scenario but personally I was disappointed about the fact that not many of the authors/coders in the forum couldn’t grasp how valuable the original code/concept was (js/css based page flip that runs on iOS). That points the original author was not someone who uses MIT as bait for future blackmail (many of our authors thinks that way). Definitely that guy doesn’t deserve bad words for making such a file.

Respecting the original author’s current decision is one thing, another thing is own safety while releasing the product with old license after change of license/intention. Legally that may be fine but in problematic situations, I don’t think Envato (or any 3rd party) would investigate the proofs to back the author; chances are to just freeze the file and leave everything into the author’s own efforts. That’s why I say the 2nd release after license change is risky.

3747 posts
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Spain
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+5 more
pezflash says

I’m absolutely agree with Ramesh (VF). And even ignoring what the original author deserves, consider that if that guy sends a DMCA to Envato regarding the new file, Envato will automatically remove your item MPC , not asking anything else (or at least, this way had happen other times, as far as i knew), so i don’t think you should be taking the risk.

I’m sure you can reach a finally (friendly) agreement. Of course, the 75% he asked is too much, but anything on life can be talked and discussed.

(wonder what would happen in this marketplace if jQuery authors decide to remove the mit licensing from now on… :) )

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
+1 more
RimmonTrieu says

Yeah, mpc didn’t made any mistake and infact was ready to pay for commercial license. That’s all any author in this situation can do to help the original author’s mistake of choosing wrong license.

That’s one part of the scenario but personally I was disappointed about the fact that not many of the authors/coders in the forum couldn’t grasp how valuable the original code/concept was (js/css based page flip that runs on iOS). That points the original author was not someone who uses MIT as bait for future blackmail (many of our authors thinks that way). Definitely that guy doesn’t deserve bad words for making such a file.

Respecting the original author’s current decision is one thing, another thing is own safety while releasing the product with old license after change of license/intention. Legally that may be fine but in problematic situations, I don’t think Envato (or any 3rd party) would investigate the proofs to back the author or just freeze the file and leave everything into the author’s own efforts. That’s why I say the 2nd release after license change is risky.

True, everyone is missing the point that the script is pure gold. Plus if it were me I couldn’t relax myself.

5311 posts The Dude Abides
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+5 more
CodingJack says

I agree with both Rimmon and MB’s points. On the one hand, he did put the script out there as MIT and when you do that you have to sort of understand what that means. On the other hand, it’s an amazing script that might be worth 100k here on CodeCanyon.

3069 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Romania
wickedpixel says

Anyone sent him this thread?

2177 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Won a Competition
+10 more
mpc Volunteer moderator says

Thank you for your contribution and sharing your opinion, I am closing the thread, cheers!

by
by
by
by
by
by