657 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Contributed a free file of the month Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

On the Envato Skype Community chat, there was a discussion going on about one of the authors who apparently is being blackmailed on Themeforest by an outside company. Based on his description of the situation, plus what seems to be a pasted copy of an e-mail he received from this company, it looks like someone’s trying to extort this guy.

Here is his profile:

[link removed]

Based on this e-mail I read from what he posted on the Skype chat, they’ve already reported one of his items and are threatening to take this guy to court. Apparently, he’s not as worried about being taken to court as he is about having his Themeforest account shut down.

They claim that he’s using their design and they want all the money that he’s making on Envato as payment for damages. This sounds like extortion to me and out of good conscience, I decided to speak up for him. Wpstrong told me that he had no idea the company who is threatening him even existed and that’s not an uncommon situation to be in.

I decided not to contact Envato support about this for two reasons:

1: I’m speaking on behalf of another author, so I don’t know if Envato Support accepts this kind of ticket to begin with.

2: I want to spread the word that there are people out there who may attempt to lie, cheat, steal, and extort money from people on Envato, so if someone else gets a funny-looking e-mail like the one I saw wpstrong post in the Skype chat, they’ll be better informed, god forbid should they encounter their very own conman.

Most people I know from Envato are honest, decent people. We should stick up for each other as a community if we can.

1420 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+3 more
WebSmacker says

It looks like they’ve removed his item, probably while investigating the matter. If he’s innocent I really hope everything works out for him.

This is unfortunately one of the things ALL small business owners should be worried about. With economy’s crashing and unemployment increasing I’m sure things like this will increase as well.

224 posts
    Has referred 1+ members Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+4 more
WPAlchemy says

Post the name of this ‘company’.

657 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $100+ on Envato Market Contributed a free file of the month Located in United Kingdom
+2 more
Blinn says

That’s the name of the website.

38 posts
    Has referred 50+ members Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
wpstrong says

Thanks Blinn for speak out for us. First of all, please take a look to our design and their website that they said their design’s been stolen :

[content removed]

[content removed] Is it deserved for a “stolen” word ?

1420 posts
    Has referred 10+ members Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+3 more
WebSmacker says

They look similar, but that doesn’t mean you stole the design. If that’s the case 99% of themes made today would be considered “stolen”

40 posts
    Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
voky says

I think that designs are completely different and I wish you resolve this situation as soon as possible.

5461 posts
    Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years Has referred 1+ members Located in Australia Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

They should have come to you to get their site done properly, their design looks pants.

1 post
    Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market Sells items exclusively on Envato Market Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
DZOAN says

I’m Argo’s author. I designed the theme based on metroUI with flat design and square blocks. It’s a most striking trend at that time and there are many project follow it.

I swear, I didn’t know about [link removed] before. It looked like their design just because coincidence of arrangement. There are many factors in the design I will say the following to prove that I did not copy:

1. Grids System: metroUI was hot trend in that time. I want to use square colors blocks for my new item. I used 1170 grids system and tried to divide the squares are placed close together in even numbers to form a symmetrical site. 5 and 6 is very different to create a symmetrical layout with the correct aspect ratio. Distance to logo is completely calculate – a square.

2. Live title: I’m a believer of the metroUI. So you can see i used live title effect for images in header to make it live.

3. There are 3 options about header. However only one for main body. I want to emphasize that the header design is not all that impressive make my theme. I have a good main body with unique layout, padding and perfect pixel. A small coincidence in the header is not enough to say that this is a steal theme.

4. Color: I think it’s not important but i just want to tell you the process i made my ideas. I choose green because this is color PANTONE of the year.

Is it deserved for a “stolen” word ?

1420 posts
+3 more
WebSmacker says

Look at Blinn, DZoan and wpstrong’s posts closely. I think they are all the same person…. just sayin

by
by
by
by
by
by