I spent 6 months building a framework in WordPress. I'm hoping to release it Open Source. [Check more here]

36 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
JoeMcKie says

Interesting stuff. I know it’s not finished but it is still a huge achievement, well done. A quickstart and some screen shots be nice. I mean, do we child theme it like Genesis, hack it like underscores or bones. To be honest I am not entirely sure what the difference between a framework and a starter theme is.

Hey, I’m doing a bit of work at the moment to get a blank theme uploaded which people will be able to use and get to know a bit better, then I’ll get to work on doing some quick docs. It runs MVC so no hacking involved (which means that your theme/site won’t break when it’s updated), and everything is done in a child theme, like Genesis.

Keep an eye out, I should have it ready in a few hours :)

16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
ThemeClever says

BTW if I were you, for now I would make the only documentation a screencast (roughly and without edits) of you simply going through the files and showing a basic implementation etc – that way you could get a basic tut up on Youtube in a few hours rather than weeks. And, then if a community starts to use it, you should have the burden of building proper tuts and managing a site etc taken off you by those who want to see it develop. I’d certainly lend a hand with documenting a framework that I found useful and which I could have some input in helping develop.

35 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
TheMetroGuy says

BTW if I were you, for now I would make the only documentation a screencast (roughly and without edits) of you simply going through the files and showing a basic implementation etc – that way you could get a basic tut up on Youtube in a few hours rather than weeks. And, then if a community starts to use it, you should have the burden of building proper tuts and managing a site etc taken off you by those who want to see it develop. I’d certainly lend a hand with documenting a framework that I found useful and which I could have some input in helping develop.

+1 for this. Instead of writing stuff down, you can just make a quick rough cut video.

Appreciate your effort. All the best.

36 posts
JoeMcKie says

So for documentation, guys, what would you like to know first? I’m putting together a demo child theme now, then I will start on the documents you request :)

426 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
SimpleSites4U says

Demo theme should be enough for most pal

332 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

Does this have any metabox API?

36 posts
JoeMcKie says

Does this have any metabox API?

Could you elaborate on that? Haven’t heard of the metabox API before (or maybe I know it as something different)

332 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
dekciw says

Have you used OptionTree? If not, you might want to check this out -> https://github.com/valendesigns/option-tree/blob/master/includes/ot-meta-box-api.php (you should get the idea). Actually, that’s something similar to theme options, but it lets you to build custom fields metaboxes very easy :)

btw, your framework looks awesome!

639 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

Nice work.

But you should keep an eye on the new theme requirements, probably kills half the integrated shortcodes.

But looks nice!

36 posts
JoeMcKie says

Have you used OptionTree? If not, you might want to check this out -> https://github.com/valendesigns/option-tree/blob/master/includes/ot-meta-box-api.php (you should get the idea). Actually, that’s something similar to theme options, but it lets you to build custom fields metaboxes very easy :) btw, your framework looks awesome!

Oh yes it has this :)

by
by
by
by
by
by