michellerobinson Recent Posts Threads Started
49 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
michellerobinson Staff says

Looks like the sidebar is the actual item classification, and an item cannot be in more than one category. The top navigation is therefore a pseudo-classification and for the purposes of linking can break this rule, but the content and destination URLs do not. A common reason for that is providing duplicate content at different URLs is punishable in SEO. It is illogical, but since these were obviously not built in unison I can’t imagine it’s going to change quickly.

Essentially GravityDept is spot on. It’s not a bug but a function of the way the menu structure and taxonomy is set up. It’s not a great experience, which we know, but it impacts a number of things including SEO so we need to be careful making changes to it and need to do some R&D to make sure any changes are the right ones.

2263 posts Bird is the word..
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+3 more
jonathan01 says

Looks like the sidebar is the actual item classification, and an item cannot be in more than one category. The top navigation is therefore a pseudo-classification and for the purposes of linking can break this rule, but the content and destination URLs do not. A common reason for that is providing duplicate content at different URLs is punishable in SEO. It is illogical, but since these were obviously not built in unison I can’t imagine it’s going to change quickly.
Essentially GravityDept is spot on. It’s not a bug but a function of the way the menu structure and taxonomy is set up. It’s not a great experience, which we know, but it impacts a number of things including SEO so we need to be careful making changes to it and need to do some R&D to make sure any changes are the right ones.

Hi Michelle, I understand the problem but customer comes first with UX – this is bad UX and there should be a work around. Will leave it with you guys to see what can be done to improve this.

Thanks for the reply!

jonathan

by
by
by
by
by
by