3893 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
charlie4282 says

Um… Why not jack lead your phone into the PC as a speaker system then when the call comes in not only does the music stop but the ringtone is amplified?

479 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+4 more
VectorMedia says

Um… Why not jack lead your phone into the PC as a speaker system then when the call comes in not only does the music stop but the ringtone is amplified?

Hey there Charlie!

Because that is not what my friend needs, he needs something that is practical, basically wireless. Something like what Joost said with the song fingerprint idea. :)

587 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
AlexFjord says

This is pretty practical! In seriousness – the big challenge is syncing your devices when its not like Apple to Apple or bluetooth etc.

If your friend REALLY want an app then you still have the connectivity but beyond that you will probably find you need a way to make the app operate like wireless speakers/headphones.

there may well be USB plugs or some form of bluetooth tech that already does this.

I will ask the senior developers here tomorrow when they are in if they have any ideas. Send me an email at alex.fjord@gmx.com . It would be useful to know what your friend’s budget is because mobile apps especially cross platform stuff can get v pricey. I would not be able to guess at a cost for this until one of our techs comes out with a proper solution though

479 posts
+4 more
VectorMedia says

This is pretty practical! In seriousness – the big challenge is syncing your devices when its not like Apple to Apple or bluetooth etc.

If your friend REALLY want an app then you still have the connectivity but beyond that you will probably find you need a way to make the app operate like wireless speakers/headphones.

there may well be USB plugs or some form of bluetooth tech that already does this.

I will ask the senior developers here tomorrow when they are in if they have any ideas. Send me an email at alex.fjord@gmx.com . It would be useful to know what your friend’s budget is because mobile apps especially cross platform stuff can get v pricey. I would not be able to guess at a cost for this until one of our techs comes out with a proper solution though

The app should be for PC and laptop, it should be installed in the PC / laptop and not in the phone.

Alright let me know what you find out, thank you for your interest! :)

587 posts
AlexFjord says

The app should be for PC and laptop, it should be installed in the PC / laptop and not in the phone.

Thats totally different – although there must be some form of app/technology in the phone that connects the devices – unless your friend is literally talking about the computer detecting the frequency of a phone call in which case you are talking 10s if not 100s of thousands of $.

Will let you know what the guys think tomorrow

479 posts
+4 more
VectorMedia says

Thats totally different – although there must be some form of app/technology in the phone that connects the devices – unless your friend is literally talking about the computer detecting the frequency of a phone call in which case you are talking 10s if not 100s of thousands of $.

Will let you know what the guys think tomorrow

Not really the frequency but the song, let’s say you record it on your PC and you have it on your phone… it should be made so that it recognizes your ringtone only.

3738 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

Not really the frequency but the song, let’s say you record it on your PC and you have it on your phone… it should be made so that it recognizes your ringtone only.

Wait.. isn’t that basically what Shazam does? Perhaps it’s worth checking if there are any desktop variants you could use (possibly to build upon).

EDIT: Here is someone (google cache, since ubuntuforums is down atm) who tried recognising a single tone. It contains a nice discussion and some useful links. As they suggest, a fourier transformation might indeed work out quite nicely as long as the ringtone is very distinct. That might be worth investigating – it sure does open up a whole lot of new search terms.

EDIT2: Oh heck, I’m sending you an e-mail.

463 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+2 more
boomopera says

What if the app worked as noise cancelation device, using microphone to record music in the room and at the same time playing it back but in a 180 degrees phase shift. Ringtone would go on top of that. If its fast enough would that decrease the volume of the music in the room? Given the size of the speakers on a mobile?

136 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
MHF says

stick the speaker cables to the mobile phone using some glue or sticky tape or something! ... place the device on table near the edge! put the device in vibration state! ... now when the phone vibrates and vibrates and vibrates, it moves gradually till finally it will fall down the table, causing it to disconnect the cables! :D it is highly recommended to use a Nokia cell phone! :D

sorry guys i know nothing about making apps but i usually solve my problems in such ways!
5492 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Located in Australia
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
Australia says

Surely the best method is an app for your computer / laptop. Not for your Mobile device.

Similar to how car stereos work when hooked upto blue tooth for your phone. The sound mutes when incoming call detected.

by
by
by
by
by
by