I don’t know if you guys talked about that subject yet but I was wondering what you guys think about supporting IE6 .. I’ve seen that the xhtml version of Minmalist (wich is really good) doesnt support it and I think it is a really good idea..
I’ve seen that the xhtml version of Minmalist (wich is really good) doesnt support it
Oh, someone will be very upset to hear this (O).
I’m sick of fighting with IE 6 .0… I know that I’m not the only one, but…. there a lot of
lamers users that still are using it
Why ? Did I say something wrong ?
- Envato Staff
- Has been a member for 5-6 years
- Attended a Community Meetup
- Beta Tester
- Contributed a Blog Post
- Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
- Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
- Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
It’s been discussed quite a lot in past threads. Do a search in the forums if you’re interested about what others have said.
Basically you have two types of people.
1) IE 6 is old and a pain to keep supporting. Don’t support it, the people will switch over. It’s not worth the extra time, etc.
2) IE 6 might be old and a terrible browser but a pretty good number of people still use it which means it’s a good idea to keep supporting it until further notice. If you’re familiar with IE 6 bugs, it doesn’t take that long to fix them.
In my opinion, if you aren’t going to support it, make sure you setup something where if an IE 6 user visits the site then they get a message saying something like, “Your browser is out of date, please update. Firefox is a good choice. [Firefox website link]”
That way people using IE 6 don’t visit the site and see a bunch of stuff not working right, etc. and just think the site is crap.
I think that people who still want to support IE6 think in short therm. I think not supporting it is a sacrifice at this moment because we lose some market but in the long therm , it is good if everybody do it.
I’ve read that a lot of people suddenly stopped doing it and I think it is the best solution in the long therm.
Ok ! But why somebody would be upset ?
read the thread