• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

Think of it this way. Let’s say that you sell some kind of “event” template that a person buys for an upcoming conference. Next, let’s imagine that you haven’t bothered compensating for IE6 , and have sold a template where its subnavigation menu doesn’t work correctly.

For this buyer, that means that 12% of the visitors will not be able to navigate the site and signup for the fictional conference. This looks badly for both him and us.

Even after IE6 compliance becomes optional, I’d highly recommend that you keep support it for at least another six months or so.

230 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United States
Meshach says
Think of it this way. Let’s say that you sell some kind of “event” template that a person buys for an upcoming conference. Next, let’s imagine that you haven’t bothered compensating for IE6 , and have sold a template where its subnavigation menu doesn’t work correctly.

For this buyer, that means that 12% of the visitors will not be able to navigate the site and signup for the fictional conference. This looks badly for both him and us.

Even after IE6 compliance becomes optional, I’d highly recommend that you keep support it for at least another six months or so.

Yes, that makes sense, we could always use graceful degradation.

76 posts
  • Canada
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
g_gilmore says
You should remember that IE6 support is still required by a ton of people, including myself, that purchase templates from this site. I’d think twice before dropping it once it becomes optional.

I don’t see a “ton of people” posting “I WANT IE6 SUPPORT !”.

So, yeah..
True, but that’s because they already have it. What is going to happen if authors do not support IE6 is they will be receiving a considerable amount of more messages regarding fixes. It will be more of a headache to ignore IE6 and have to deal with complaints than to just fix any bugs before submitting.
149 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
starshade says

Regarding all this internet explorer 6 thing, to support or not, my philosophy is that I make websites for all people out there having an internet connection, so not providing at a decent / good navigation experience for more than 10% of them is not acceptable from my point of view. I started learning html/css back in 2005 and during all these years I learnt pretty well how to deal with different ie6 issues and nowadays I have no problems with it whatsoever, except the fact that it consumes a lot of my time to make it work as it should.

Regarding those browser statistics from w3schools, I think they are way too optimistic. It only shows the browser usage of people that only visit that site, not the whole net. I personally use this site to check out browser statistics, but not even this is too relevant in my opinion. A more relevant source would be wikipedia itself because that is a site that most users are using, not only us, the ones who work in IT. Wikipedia shows some rather discouraging percentages, stating that ie6 is still the most used browser on the net with 24.42% as of September 2009. Well I hope this information is false but I am not sure what to believe. I personally will keep supporting ie6 until it reaches, let’s say, 4% on global stats and less than 8% on wikipedia.

One thing you have to pray for is that Windows 7 will be so damn good when it reaches shelves so Windows XP finally gets dumped along with that ie6 that comes preinstalled with it.

218 posts
  • Canada
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
simonbouchard says

It’s simple : more we support IE6 , more it’s gonna take time to unsupport it. If EVERYONE stop supporting it, EVERYONE will upgrade.

Imagine if Google screw up his homepage for IE6 people ; they will simply upgrade or use an another browser. And then, bye bye to IE6 lot faster.

I know it sounds too much basic, but it’s my opinion.

Cheers!

2 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
mvenema says

I would love to drop IE6 support, but the fact is, many computers with in large networks still have IE6 . In fact, many online applications are made for IE6 . Therefore, many people and many offices still use it. That`s why you should always debug for IE6 . For as long as there are companies supporting it, you should debug for it.

Thats how i look at it, besides many bugs can be solved rather easy, and if you code good, many times you dont even need it to debug for IE6 .

by
by
by
by
by
by