17 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
chaman_matrix says

Hey people! I’m almost done with my first wordpress theme, fingers crossed! I wanted to start the styling for IE8 but when I opened my theme in IE8, it’s a complete disaster! I don’t even know where to begin working. So, here is the question : Is supporting IE8 really that important? I would also appreciate if someone could guide in the right direction for making IE8 styles. Please and thank you!

505 posts
  • Estonia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
kriskorn says

Very important, it is mandatory.

3249 posts Nice Guy
  • Forum Superstar
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
RubenBristian says

Hey people! I’m almost done with my first wordpress theme, fingers crossed! I wanted to start the styling for IE8 but when I opened my theme in IE8, it’s a complete disaster! I don’t even know where to begin working. So, here is the question : Is supporting IE8 really that important? I would also appreciate if someone could guide in the right direction for making IE8 styles. Please and thank you!

Have you used HTML5 tags? If yes: http://code.google.com/p/html5shiv/

17 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
chaman_matrix says

No, I’m afraid I haven’t used any HTML5 mark-up. Could someone just briefly tell me how to deal with this problem?

900 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
aleluja says

Briefly? We can’t even see the theme. The only thing that can be briefly said is: IE8 doesn’t support many things. For better answers you will have to show us the theme.

3058 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
wickedpixel says

briefly, you don’t know how to write html/css until you get ie8 at a decent form :P

457 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Israel
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
virtuti says

Hello, IE8 is really mandatory but it really depends on your understanding of “disaster”–maybe you just think that it is a disaster while it might be normal state for ie8.

For example, if corners which are rounded in normal browsers are not rounded in ie8 it is not a disaster at all, you can skip working on this. However, if it is impossible: text to read, message to send, image to view, button to click then you should fix it. Of course the page should be laid out properly, everything should be in normal order and acceptable view. But again, if you are worried about all kinds of effects which are not displayed in ie8 do not worry, it is not what is required to be fixed.

If you wish you can post here a couple of screenshots for comparison–one taken on normal browser, another one on ie8. Thus it will be easier to help you.

Wish you good luck with first submission!

126 posts ThemeTon
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Mongolia
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
themeton says

IE browser usage is decreasing monthly. But 8 is still an important because it is used more than 9 & 10. Can leave 7 now.

17 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • France
chaman_matrix says

Well I’m starting to get the hang of it. I want to appreciate everyone for their valuable input, specially virtuti (that was exactly what I was looking for!). I’ll post screenshots if I need further help somewhere :)

121 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • United Kingdom
codeblvck says

as others have said its mandatory. But the below css properties might help , you can thank me later ;)

div { zoom: 1 ; }

most of the times just adding zoom fixes the problem. Also if display:none display:block is a problem or hovers are a problem then try adding

visibility:hidden and visibility:visible

by
by
by
by
by
by