3741 posts Community Moderator
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
  • Located in Netherlands
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

Hi guys,

I’m running into a bit of an issue that I don’t know how to resolve.

A client has sent me a logo as an illustrator file, for me to import into Flash and add to the project. The thing is.. it seems to consist of quite a few layers and stuff, making the entire SWF run slow as butter when I try to rotate/animate the logo.

Does anyone know what I could do to make it run faster? There is no need preserve layers. It’s an illustrator file created in CS4 or CS5 , so I cannot import it to Flash directly. I’m opening in Illustrator CS3 (which tells me it’s a file created with a higher version, but it opens anyway), and when I copypaste to Flash it adds over 200 symbols to the library.

Is there anything I can do to flatten the illustration to, say.. one symbol? :P When I try to use ‘Break Apart’ the logo gets messed up, as there are semi-transparant objects etc. I was hoping to find a feature similar to Photoshop’s Flatten, but I havn’t had any luck.

I’d rather not convert to a bitmap, as rotating bitmaps usually results in much more quality loss than rotating vectors.

Short version: I have little experience with Illustrator. How to I flatten a bunch of layers into one vector shape?

1955 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
Emroni says
  • Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Moderator says

I’m an idiot. I ment to say ‘Groups and Paths’ wherever I said ‘Layers’. :| It’s all on 1 layer in Illustrator already ;)

However, when I googled, I (naively) googled “Illustrator flatten” but never added “layers” or “groups”. Your search got me a result I’m gonna try out – I’ll report back in a bit! Thanks!

EDIT : I just figured that what I’m really trying to do it combine paths to form a single path. I guess I’m going to go ahead and save myself some fuss and just create a highres bitmap. :|

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

Joost, in my experience the best result can be achieved with a good bitmap masked with a vector shape. The edges become sharp and clean that way, even if you enable smoothing on the bitmap.

1702 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Bedros says
flashedge said
Joost, in my experience the best result can be achieved with a good bitmap masked with a vector shape. The edges become sharp and clean that way, even if you enable smoothing on the bitmap.

+1 , nice trick ; thanks flashedge.

• Located in Netherlands
+9 more
Joost Moderator says
flashedge said

That’s just brilliant. Amazing. I’m shocked by the simplicity yet awesomeness of that idea!: Thanks! :)

by
by
by
by
by
by