• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
Sleightofhand says

Hi – we’ve just done exactly this! It was finished a week ago, we finished painting the interior a couple of days ago and moved in yesterday.

I can’t give you any specifics although the company site drills into a lot of detail about the insulation they use http://www.oecogardenrooms.co.uk/pages/thermal-insulation.html

We have got acoustic insulation and when the doors are closed, we’ve had music playing full blast through a sub-woofer the size of a large family pet and you can barely hear a thing outside.

For flooring we jsut slapped down some decent underlay and then laminate on top. All the budget had gone on the build so nothing left for proper wood floors!

Electricity is the bitch. We had to come off a spur form the main house which meant digging 2 separate trenches through the garden. One for the data cables and one for the main electricity. Keep the two separate and at least a foot apart to prevent interference.

I can get much more in depth answers to any of your questions once I’ve quizzed my colleague in whose garden this sits and put in most of the effort sourcing the company and doing the details.

J

That my friend is amazing…wow

1373 posts
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

Yes. polished cement/concrete floor. Without seams. And on the top acrylate layer. Just make sure the temperature is warm enough for the cement/concrete. Probably better to wait until spring.
That looks amazing! I’ll check it out. And it is Spring! ;)

Wait a bit Adrian, If you dont have groundwork this kind of floor might be not works. Although you have to use steel reinforcements to make the floor flexible anyway (if rigid, it will crack) but i think the weight of the floor will might be heavy. I dont know, is this stands on normal groundwork, or footing.

You can calculate, if you use C16 or C25 concrete thats around 1800 kg /m3 plus there is the iron as well. And you will need at least 8-10cm thickness. Im not sure this solution is works here.

222 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
adriantry Staff says

Council approval came through much faster than expected. We had to get our Colorbond colour choices in quickly so everything could be ordered. We went for a light yellow colour for the walls as recommended by SportTipsWorld. Thanks!

Next step is bob catting and laying the slab. That will probably happen in the next couple of weeks. I’ll post photos as it all happens.

I’ve been thinking that there’s so much good advice in this thread that it will be worth rounding up in an Envato Notes post in the near future. Thanks everyone – and keep it coming!

222 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Blog Editor
  • Envato Staff
adriantry Staff says

I should post some “before” photos. :)

This is where we’ll build the office. This is the back left corner of our yard, and the building will run along the back fence line. It’s a part of the yard that doesn’t get used much at the moment.

1405 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Stylius says

Even though I’m on the other side of the world, I’m very excited about it!! I love constructions and architecture! Have you drawn any plans? How do you imagine it? :)

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

Just make sure that area is higher than the others. Otherwise the water will always goes there. As itt seems like from the photos, that place is lower than the surrounding. Am i see well?

222 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Blog Editor
  • Envato Staff
adriantry Staff says

Even though I’m on the other side of the world, I’m very excited about it!! I love constructions and architecture! Have you drawn any plans? How do you imagine it? :)

Thanks! I don’t have the plans with me – I’m away from home visiting Sydney right now.

It will be a long 9×4 metre building divided into three 3×4 metre rooms. One room will be a drum room (and bedroom) for my son, one an office for my wife, and the other my office. My office will have sliding glass doors and no windows.

222 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Blog Editor
  • Envato Staff
adriantry Staff says

Just make sure that area is higher than the others. Otherwise the water will always goes there. As itt seems like from the photos, that place is lower than the surrounding. Am i see well?

Hi dekurvato. Great point. The photo may be deceiving – that is the highest part of our yard. We’ll be building along the back fence.

37 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
MAOV says

Looking neat so far. ;)

5388 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

Have you picked a contactor Adrian ?

We use a company based in Jimbomba. They did our sheds on two places, one southside and one in Dayboro.

Exceptional guys.

by
by
by
by
by
by