• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • South Africa
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
+1 more
joiaco says

Hi Adrian, We built our house almost entirely of recycled materials except for the outside cladding and the roof which is exactly like yours here. The insulation sheets are white compressed polystyrene and double as ceiling boards when pressed up under the corrugated iron roof. They were glued together in a tongue and groove manner. They would be thick enough to block those holes above the walls.

In the smaller rooms (bathroom, storeroom) we got recycled packing polystyrene sheets and blocks from computer shops, appliance stores and surf board shops and made a creative ‘mosaic’ for insulation!. If the sheets are thin you can glue them together with acrylic glue until they are thick enough to block those holes.

218 posts
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
adriantry Staff says

Thanks for sharing your story, Joanne. I’ve been chatting with a lot of people about insulation and internal lining, and discovering a lot of inexpensive/free options like you have.

We’re not in a hurry, and will do some experimenting before next summer. In the meantime bookshelves and other tall furniture should help a bit.

Construction finished today. Here are some photos!

That’s the view from my office.

We did discuss where to put the downpipes, and a few hours later discovered we got it wrong. We’ll have to move some dirt around so the water runs away from the door.

I’m pretty happy!

Next steps:
  • Fill in those gaps.
  • Dig a ditch for the power conduit. Or preferably find someone cheap.
  • Get the power stuff done, including wiring, subboard, power points and lighting.
  • Get the air conditioners installed.
  • Get the carpeting done.

And I guess I should get an Envato logo graffitied on that end wall. ;) After all that I get to turn it into an office. :)

882 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Superstar
  • South Africa
+1 more
joiaco says

Wow, that was fast! Looks like the lie of your land means that you could lead the run off water into a flat 500litre water tank round the side of your building. Very useful for watering the rest of your garden for drier times… (or don’t you get any dry days?) Maybe plant some water loving flora like banana trees and papaya to keep the palm trees company :)

1373 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

Im just wondering Adrian, how about the AC? cause this metal plates all around will have no any kind of insulation. It will be like an oven… Even you fill those gaps. Do you think about any kind of inside sealing, ceiling? I know fiberglass, polistiren are not very eco stuff, but this one i think will works like a sauna like this… o.O ?

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

Or check the urethane foam, its more convenient than any others. 3-4 cm gives you a correct isolation, it could goes every small corners, absolutely keeps away the insects even ants or smaller.

And its also sticks on metal or painted surface as well. Then you can cut, carve, drill whatever. Then cover it.

5070 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Community Superstar
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

The insulation foam, would be a waste of time. This would cause the steel roof to sweat.

Ventillation, an air gap between the roof sheet ( underside ) and a suspended insulation type would be better.

Along with, spraying the roof ( whilst its new ) outside – with a solar reflective paint ( clear cote )

Above all, you need heaps and heaps of ventillation, at floor level, and in the ridges of the roof. Plus a good AC !

Just an aside ( as you know we run a AC business ) if you nip onto Energex website, check out Peak Smart. If you opt for a compliant AC, that is listed on Energex site, you get $250.00 back. Do not go for the Fujitsu in this case, as its a PITA to fit the peak smart, and some of the ac’s dont have the required board fitted, meaning you must wait for their support tech to retro fit.

Panasonic, would be the go. Peak Smart can be fitted in 5-10 minutes !

Need help, gimme a shout :)

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

@Australia: “This would cause the steel roof to sweat.”
Would you explain this please? Because the sprayed, applied PUR foam has no gaps in between itself and the roof/wall metal sheets. Its a perfect hermetically connected treatment. PUR is an absolutely waterproof material. Also adapt to the volumetric changes (temperature, wind, warpage) so where do you expect the aggregation?

The solar reflective paint is absolutely a good idea/advise but as i can see the roof is already painted a light color. The more effective solution would be a natural roof (hay or reed or something similar solution, – i dont know in Australia) But as i see this structure could not support that weight.

Something else: the whole building will works as a radiator. Its all metal, with ribbs… I can believe that there is an AC system which could make here a good work, but i would concern about the electricity bill… Your prices are pretty much near to the UK price… hmm…

2963 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Beta Tester
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
TNL3542 says

looking great so far :) ecept for the mud holes etc

1373 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Tuvalu
dekurvajo says

Well, here is an another urethane insulation for a hall. There is obviously no AC here. But without this insulation you just simply can not stay inside, i guarantee…
\\

882 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Community Superstar
  • South Africa
+1 more
joiaco says

A quirky option, and solution to the drainage and insulation, would be to prepare the roof to grow grass or vegetables… Hobbit style ;).

by
by
by
by
by
by