2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
polarisbc says

So wonderful that the most ridiculously over complicated theme I have ever worked with has been deleted by the author and all support threads deleted from their support forum. I search their forums for the theme and it’s like it never existed. I’ll still buy things from Code Canyon but my experience here has been about 50/50 with themes. I’ve purchased some amazing themes that were elegantly coded, simple and yet full of features and I’ve purchased some that were a nightmare. I have scrapped two themes due to problems with them that just became too troublesome and now it looks like I might scrap another. In the end on these three projects I didn’t save a penny by purchasing themes. I’ve lost money on them. This isn’t the case with every job but you never know what you’re going to get until you’ve bought it. It has been a great learning experience and I love the Envato network but I’ve become much more comfortable developing themes from scratch and I’m not taking chances with these themes anymore.

70 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
DareToGeek says

So wonderful that the most ridiculously over complicated theme I have ever worked with has been deleted by the author and all support threads deleted from their support forum. I search their forums for the theme and it’s like it never existed. I’ll still buy things from Code Canyon but my experience here has been about 50/50 with themes. I’ve purchased some amazing themes that were elegantly coded, simple and yet full of features and I’ve purchased some that were a nightmare. I have scrapped two themes due to problems with them that just became too troublesome and now it looks like I might scrap another. In the end on these three projects I didn’t save a penny by purchasing themes. I’ve lost money on them. This isn’t the case with every job but you never know what you’re going to get until you’ve bought it. It has been a great learning experience and I love the Envato network but I’ve become much more comfortable developing themes from scratch and I’m not taking chances with these themes anymore.

I’m sorry to hear that you have had such ups and downs with themes. I personally have always been one to develop my own themes for clients, but purely because I enjoy creating something from scratch. Anyways all the best to you, and maybe you will end up creating a theme for Themeforest someday. :p

4392 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+14 more
Enabled Moderator says

We’re sorry to hear about your bad experiences, and yes, some authors remove their items, but it’s perfectly within the rules. As for you decision not to purchase from ThemeForest again, may I ask you, if you drink a cup of hot coffee, and you get burned, do you stop drinking coffee at all?

ThemeForest is an amazing place with awesome stuff on it, even if your item is no longer available, you may still try to send the author a message through his or her profile, found on their profile page, and if all else fails, you can request help on the forums! We have a lovely community that I’m pretty sure will lend a helping hand. If that fails as well, there’s always Envato Studio where I’m 100% sure you’ll find amazing help and customization as well! :)

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
polarisbc says

I’m aware of the rules. As I mentioned I love most of my experiences with Envato. Particularly the knowledge that is available on some of the sites. I’ve had mostly good experiences and have learned more from Tuts sites than any other single source on the web. I have just been frustrated with issues on a couple themes here at Themeforest. Mainly due to their complexity. Not that I won’t spend money with the Envato network just not here anymore. My experiences at Code Canyon have been very good. It’s better that I develop themes from scratch anyways. Makes me a better coder.

Thanks

264 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
chilly_orange says

I totally understand how you feel, I have been there and it really truly sucks when all of a sudden a theme I’ve purchased and am using for a project is pulled and suddenly you’re left hanging without support :( It is, however, allowed for authors to do this, so not much we can do. In the end, this will hurt the author as next time I’ll think twice about buying from said author.

Regarding the complexity of themes, it’s no secret that unfortunately, ease of use is NOT a factor in the the review process and the sheer volume of functions, features, bells and whistles has the upper hand. It’s a sad fact that the more junk authors seem to pump into their (Wordpress) themes, the better the chance of it getting accepted and the better (often) it will sell (only look at some of the current best sellers, and you’ll know what I mean).

That said, there really are still some true gems of themes available here, but unfortunately they don’t nearly get as much attention as they deserver, so finding them will take a bit longer. My advice would be to indeed either develop themes yourself (the invested time and effort will pay itself off over time) or find one or two awesome authors who’s style you like and stick with them.

1437 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
kailoon Envato team says

I totally understand how you feel, I have been there and it really truly sucks when all of a sudden a theme I’ve purchased and am using for a project is pulled and suddenly you’re left hanging without support :( It is, however, allowed for authors to do this, so not much we can do. In the end, this will hurt the author as next time I’ll think twice about buying from said author.

Regarding the complexity of themes, it’s no secret that unfortunately, ease of use is NOT a factor in the the review process and the sheer volume of functions, features, bells and whistles has the upper hand. It’s a sad fact that the more junk authors seem to pump into their (Wordpress) themes, the better the chance of it getting accepted and the better (often) it will sell (only look at some of the current best sellers, and you’ll know what I mean).

That said, there really are still some true gems of themes available here, but unfortunately they don’t nearly get as much attention as they deserver, so finding them will take a bit longer. My advice would be to indeed either develop themes yourself (the invested time and effort will pay itself off over time) or find one or two awesome authors who’s style you like and stick with them.
+1
171 posts
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
ait says

Sorry to hear that. Would you be willing to pay a maintenance fee for your themes in order to get future updates and support?

by
by
by
by
by
by