328 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CLINE123 says

Recently got a pingback notification from a post I have on me website. Turns out a new web design company copied some original content from my site. I’m no ‘web designer’, I configure TF themes for clients and I make that clear on my site and when I have client interviews. I also market in a small geographic area and this is a little disconcerting.

I’ve been monitoring the site and see that he’s removed that article content but his entire FAQ page is mine. His Facebook cover pic uses the identical concept from an original slide I designed for my homepage slider, all he did was change the font so it actually looks exactly like my slide.

From the looks of this ‘competitor’ it doesn’t seem like he has the chops to mount any formidable campaign (at least in the short term) so I’m wondering out loud to me peers on whether to shrug this off or let him know that I’m noticing him.

973 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
aaranmcguire says

Make an email address from your websites Legal@Domain.com with a DMCA and stuff.. then watch the site come down quickly

90 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • South Africa
Net-Labs says

Now that you’ve mentioned this (and you have all right to), it can be construed as that you gave your blessing if you do not do something about it.

Give em hell

372 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
WPWiseOwl says

While some feel sending a DMCA is just being a “busy body” while I think if you don’t meddle you’re potentially implicitly giving permission.

328 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • United States
CLINE123 says

I tend to agree with the effective implicit permission of doing nothing. I think I’ll send the dude an email.

1092 posts
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
lifwanian says

I’ve had a few times where other people would steal my work and then post it up as theirs. All I do is email them a threat saying they have x amount of days to remove it, or legal actions will be taken. Search for templates on Google for this. They have quite a few professional ones that were written by lawyers.

If you really want to go into details, you can even take screenshots, and demand any money he has earned from it as well. That doesn’t seem like the matter here though.

by
by
by
by
by
by